Education in Brazil: My History and inspiration

Posted November 25, 2013 no picture Bianca de Oliveira

no picture Bianca de Oliveira View Profile

People have a very limited and prejudiced view of Brazil. Brazil: the country of soccer, samba, carnival, celebration, and joy. It's just not like that. Brazil is much more than that. It’s full of critical and historical problems. The main one for me is education.

I'm going to tell you my experience:

I studied for 11 years in a private school, but I had to leave in high school because the price greatly increased. My mother recommended a well-known public school here in Sao Paulo, which had a good history. I went there and had a reality check: an unkempt building and more than 15 rooms for the first year of high school. Most teachers did not care for us, were only there to receive their salaries, and it was an obligation for them, not a pleasure. I spent a half a year without a geography and an arts teacher. I had a physics teacher who came into the room, explained a subject, gave three exercises, and then sat in the chair with her MacBook and iphone. One side of my room had a bathroom and after half-time, smelled of marijuana. When I went to the ladies' room, there was an unbearable smell of cigarettes. The school was being renovated, but the reform never ended. There was a sign written by the government who invested more than one billion dollars, but the work was moving at a slow pace. The floors of the rooms were concrete and the ceiling has collapsed once. There was no library. Students were uninterested, some did mess, others were kissing in the middle of the classroom. One day, a girl got drunk in the room.

In the midst of all this, I was alone because I had nothing in common with anyone. I only had three friends who went out in the middle of the year and went to another school. It was hard, but even without getting involved with them, they offered me drinks. I focused on my studies, and when there was no teacher I was reading a book or listening to music. At the end of the year, I closed with the best grades in my life. I've never been so ten bulletins, but learned little. I did everything I could to learn on my own. There are people who can be self-taught, but for me it doesn't work, especially in the areas of Exact. I have more difficulty. No matter how much you read a subject and understand on your own, the debate is fundamental and may develop the help of someone who knows better of that matter.

It's hard to talk about everything that happened, but I learned to see the problems of Brazil. I see the reality and I started to value education more than ever. Before, I didn't like studying, and now I love studying and I want to teach. In Brazil, there is a great shortage of teachers in all areas and I want to help change that. I know how hard it is, you have no idea how many times I heard: Teacher? In Brazil? This will not provide you a future. Why don't you teach at a University? It is much better. But I always think: If I don't do my part to change, who will? See, people are discouraged about politics and education in Brazil. They always say Brazil is hopeless, but I know there is a way. For everything there is a way, just death is hopeless. I know what I lived through and I want to change it somehow.

I had a Portuguese teacher, call Silvia and she was the best teacher I had in high school. She worked with love and explained everything very well. She was also one of my inspirations for wanting to get a degree in letters and become a teacher of Portuguese. I will never forget her.

Now I'm in a school of industry in Sao Paulo, a much better school than public school, but I'm still looking for my focus.

Some data:

Brazil occupies the 53rd place in education, among 65 countries evaluated (PISA).

Even with the social program that encouraged the registration of 98% of children between 6 and 12 years, 731 thousand children are still out of school (IBGE). The functional illiteracy of people between 15 and 64 years was recorded in 28% in the year 2009 (IBOPE); 34% of students who reach the fifth year of schooling still can't read (everyone for education); 20% of young people who complete elementary school, and who live in big cities, not dominate the use of reading and writing (everyone for education). Teachers get paid less than the wage floor.

education illiteracy Teacher Brazil Sao Paulo