Food

Posted February 20, 2012 no picture Rachel

no picture Rachel View Profile

Many of us ignore the importance and value of food in our life. This is because most of us who were born into a well-doing, stable and financially supported family do not know what it feels like to starve, to beg for food or to not have food choices. We have been accustomed to choose what we want to eat and then discard the food remains from our dishes.

Most of the time, we do not realize that there are many poor people in the world who are living in absolute poverty would do anything just to be able to feed themselves. We are lucky, to even have multiple choices of food everyday in our lives and yet we complain about the standard of foods not meeting the level of our satisfaction. The main reasons why we discard food frequently are the taste of the food does not reach our expectations and we fail to consume the food because it expires.

It has been statically proven that we throw away 8.3 million tonnes of food a year and 1 billion children live in poverty (that is 1 in 2 children in the world). Poverty is the state for the majority of the nations and world's people. Why is this? Is it fair to blame poor people for their own circumstances? Have they been lazy, made poor decisions, and been solely responsible for their predicament?

We should stop complaining about food and start appreciating food.