Food Balance--Where Is It?

Posted November 16, 2013 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy View Profile

I took an Environmental Science class last year. We learned that the general global populous of humans will not overshoot and plummet beneath its carrying capacity. Rather, we discovered that food production is not lacking and there is not a real shortage of food product in the world. If you think about it differently, you will see that this global dilemma of hunger is not a function of poor productivity or lack of resources. In the world, if we see it this way, we can assume that there is (at a single point in time) a specific amount of food, as if the world had a giant lunchbox and the only food it had for the day was in that lunchbox. Now, we divide up our lunchboxes fairly efficiently. If you like yogurt more than sandwiches, you will allocate more space in your lunchbox for two yogurt cups and less space for a half a sandwich instead of a whole. Similarly, our global distribution of "lunchbox space" is just as biased. Right now, our food productivity is fine. Mom has packed a good amount of food for our lunch today. So why is there a grand illusion that many countries have starving populations because they cannot make food? It's simple: the majority of global food produced is sitting in a sort of "storage" in countries with the highest standard of living and the most fruitful economy. Take the United States for example. Although we are the third most populated country in the world, our food consumption is beyond what is necessary. In fact, our obesity/ type 2 diabetes/ heart disease/ and weight gain- related ailments rates have increased tenfold. Why? More than we can blame sedentary lifestyles brought about by the newfound technological revolution, we can attribute this to our poor portions, bad quality of food and unequal distribution of healthy produce to unhealthy produce. Our meal portions are so skewed that we can actually feed a whole family in Sub-Saharan Africa with a single plate entrée from a local restaurant. Moreover, the entitlement we feel as a very privileged nation brings us to feel that we need to be able to have whatever we want and whether or not we decide to use what we have is of no importance. In this, the attitude of ordering more than you need and wasting over 60% of it is cultivated in our public. Of course, this applies to several other developed nations of the world. However, all of us put together can realize one common goal: to help feed the developing countries who are unable to gather resources, use proper agricultural techniques, etc. to create their own food supply. If we took all of the food that wasted/ thrown out in American on a single day, we could probably feed a starving nation for nearly two weeks.

I can say all of this but still not take action. That's why, I'm vowing to try to not waste any food or resource at all. Why order two plates of pasta when you know you can only handle one?

inspire children youth developing countries human rights activism peace Environment africa women health countries poverty food hunger continent agriculture revolution starvation impoverished distribution economy commerce