Food security

no picture uncife
mohanad

Free source: Photo by Joshua Newton on Unsplash

Food security and insecurity is an ongoing issue and problem around the world. In many regions and areas people suffer from food insecurities. The definition of the term food insecurity is, the state of being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable and nutritious food. More than 800 million people around the globe suffer from this problem. Food security by the UN’s definition is the condition where people at all times have physical, social and economic access to food that is safe and meets their nutritious needs. Of course, the issue of food security differs from region to region, area to area and country to country. Countries with a large number of people and a bigger population tend to suffer more from this issue. Food insecurity is not the government’s definition of hunger, it is a much broader term that defines the coping mechanisms of households trying to avoid hunger. In this essay I will describe both food insecurities and securities by region and country and compare and contrast them from worst to best; I will also look at other issues around the world causing people instability and insecurity.

Global hunger levels have dropped by 28% since 2000, which is a great achievement; however there are still countries that suffer from the issue more than others, and around 871 million people worldwide are suffering from it. According to the World Hunger Organization, the countries suffering the most from food shortages and insecurities are Yemen, Madagascar, Zambia, Sudan and Sierra Leone. In the Sudan, a quarter of the country faces food insecurity issues and 40% of the children are sick from food deprivation. Sierra Leone is another country that suffers badly from the issue; despite being politically stable, the World Hunger Organization places it at a widespread level of food shortage. In Yemen more than 11 million people face starvation and food insecurities. This is in part due to the civil war and the political status in the country. Research shows that food insecurity tends to be cyclical—it is hard to define it by saying a household is hungry now or will be hungry later tonight or tomorrow, it is more complex than that. By region, the areas suffering the most from food insecurity are Africa and South America. In Africa it affects 21% of the population and around 26 million people are suffering from it. In South America the issue has been on the rise since 2014 and is slowly becoming a bigger problem for the region than it used to be.

The country with no food insecurities and the highest levels of food security is the USA, with a rating of 86.5, giving it the highest ranking amongst countries in the world. Norway, France and Australia also made the list, being amongst the countries with higher food security levels amongst households. In the United States the state with the most security problems is Texas; however, the stats show that the regions of Europe and North America are the most stable, giving them the highest ranking as regions. In France the situation is advanced, with the government forcing supermarket and grocery stores to give their leftover food to the homeless in an effort to feed the people—which is a very good strategy for taking on this issue. The countries with the highest levels of food securities tend to be the happiest and most economically and politically stable, they also tend to be the friendliest and most prosperous countries. Around the world, developed countries tend to have higher food securities than developing or less developed countries. The World Bank Group is an example of an organization that works with others to improve issues of food security and feed people all around the world every day. They also work towards feeding the public and tackling this issue through improving farming and agriculture by building food systems. The stats suggest that over 2 billion people around the world suffer from obesity and weight problems, while another 2 billion suffer from malnutrition; although the situation is getting better, it remains a major issue.

Despite the issue of food insecurity and security, there are other issues that affect people around the world, such as overpopulation. Another serious problem affecting the world today is the climate crisis. The idea of security and insecurity is very valid and prominent in today’s society. Life is not perfect for anyone; everywhere you go and every region you look at there are issues and problems. People suffer from issues like political insecurities and lack of freedoms. This occurs when they live in an area that is politically unstable or is facing conflict, like the one in Syria. Of course, this ongoing conflict will lead to other troubles. People in war-tarnished land tend to be unhappy and more prone to issues like food insecurity. They are also prone to other problems like lack of human rights and civil liberties. Additionally, people face problems like disease, especially in regions like Africa where there has been a widespread epidemic of the Ebola disease, which affected people’s life expectancy rate causing insecurities. Another issue that causes insecurity and danger is civil war. In addition, unemployment presents as an obstacle, making it harder to earn money and live a normal life, causing an insecurity. Water shortages and lack of education make it harder to get a job, leading to poverty and famine.

Some issues are harder to tackle than others and every issue must be dealt with differently. For issues like political stability, democracy is key. For issues of unemployment, creating jobs is important. To tackle issues of civil war, there must be peace. As for issues like food insecurity and security, there is more than one way to approach the issue; the government can reduce food wastes like they are beginning to do in France. This can be done by implementing policy making it illegal to throw out leftover food and give it to the needy instead. You can also close the yield gap, turning forests and waste land into farms for providing food needs like meat and dairy. You can also target food for direct consumption and use fertilizer more efficiently. As for another life-threatening insecurity—water shortage—which affects countries like Jordan and many others, there is a smarter way of handling the situation. for instance, you can turn urine and bath water into clean and filtered drinking water, this is what they do in Spain.

All In all, the world today faces many issues, some of them more serious than the others. There are necessities for human life like food and water, which directly affect well-being, and then there are issues like poverty, which decrease the value of life. There are also issues like lack of education, that impede one’s ability to improve their mindset. On top of that are issues that are different than quality of life, and that is freedom and political stability. This directly affects the state of a country and how it is runs. Situations tend to differ from region to region, some are doing better than others. I think we are moving in the right direction with the implementation of various interest groups and organizations pushing towards economic, social and political well-being. Organizations and NGOs make it easier to tackle various issues, as they are more equipped than the government. Some people claim the biggest problem today is the climate; I believe the climate is important. I also believe that issues such as food and water are equally important, in addition to issues such as education and quality of life

http://www.fao.org/state-of-food-security-nutrition/en

/ https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/food-security

https://www.fastcompany.com/90276496/the-hottest-branding-trend-of-the-year-is-also-the-worst

https://www.concernusa.org/story/worlds-ten-hungriest-countries/

http://www.miratelinc.com/blog/10-countries-to-live-for-food-security-according-to-global-index/

https://www.businessinsider.com/world-economic-forum-world-biggest-problems-concerning-millennials-2016-8#5-religious-conflicts-239-6