Food Waste: A Call For Change

no picture High School Student
Gali

Looking at this partially appetizing diagram, our society's food waste problem is visualized: an estimated 40% of our perfectly eatable food supply is being wasted.

By 2027, we are expected to suffer from a 217 trillion calories worth of food deficiency. However, approximately 40% of our perfectly eatable food supply is wasted. Further, if food waste was a country, it would have had the third largest greenhouse gas emotions, and will only be vanquished by China and the US. Evidently, we are ought to reduce food waste and to thereby feed our growing population.

Now, I know what you're thinking: It's a shame but what can I do about it?

Well, there are plenty of things that we as youth can do, starting by reducing waste in individual households, using a few simple steps. First, buy only what you need, using a grocery list. Second, use the "FIFO" (First In First Out) method. Meaning, first use the oldest products you own, in order to avoid spoilage and unnecessary waste. Third, give away products you do not need or that will spoil, if you are going on a vacation. Moreover, find other methods that work for you and make sure to implement those as well.

In addition, we should also demand supermarkets and stores to waste less food, by getting rid of some preposterous beauty standards. In the modern supermarket, the slightest amount of dirt, an uneven shape or a smaller/bigger than expected weight or size will lead to the disqualification of a product for sale. Those standards not only waste food, but are also making it more expensive. We as consumers must utilize our power and call for a change! Consequently, supermarkets and stores will adapt their standards and embrace the new waste – free norm. Moreover, looking at organic foods as a case study, we can see that change is achievable. Similar to the growing demand and resulting supply of organic foods, a large consumer demand will result in a wanted change, in the case of food waste.

Moreover, a successful implementation of the above steps will contribute to ourselves, to our surroundings and to the environment. Environmentally, food production is an energy intensive, land consuming and harmful process, which occupies an estimated 40% of our planet's land. Of course, we should all be properly nourished, despite the resulting environmental impact. However, taking the far-reaching impact of food production into consideration, we cannot afford ourselves to toss our food away. By making sure food is not wasted, we can also alleviate and reduce the growing demand for food, thereby ensuring a prosperous present and a sustainable future.

Lastly, as our planet's population grows, we will surely face a growing demand for food. Thus, we must not waste our food, in order to sustainably and efficiently provide for the growing demand. Further, waste can be prevented by people of all ages, and is not one of "those" problems which are left for politicians to solve. By making many small changes, we as a global society will be able to proudly declare that a sustainable future is now one step closer!