Happy African Feminist Who Does Not Hate Men and Who Likes to Wear Lip Gloss and High Heels for Herself and Not For Men

Posted July 30, 2014 Avatar Christopher Onoka

Avatar Christopher Onoka View Profile

The title is one of my favourite quotes from the short book “We should all be feminists” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which is a modified version of a talk she delivered in December 2012 at TEDxEuston, a yearly conference focused on Africa.

I chose to recommend this “book” because despite its length, it forced me to take a deeper look at my own life and experiences. Just like her friend Louis in the book, my thinking was “I don’t see what you mean by things being different and harder for women. Maybe it was so in the past but not now. Everything is fine for women.”

I had not planned on reading the book initially. I had been facing writer’s block for the past two weeks and turned to a close friend of mine for advice a few days ago.

“I need inspiration for writing!"

“Dont know if this is at all helpful or inspirational but i'm in on the whole feminist issue at the moment.”

“Yeah, good idea.”

But this was more of a polite “good idea”.

But the issue stayed in my mind and refused to dissipate.

I remember thinking to myself, what is she on about? Feminism? In this day and age? Why would this be a social issue affecting the youth? I put the idea at the back of my mind and tried to write about something else, but I was unable to. To humour my friend, I watched the link she sent me (see below).

I remember watching the video some time back and dismissing it as unimportant. My second reaction to the video after re-watching it after my friend’s suggestion was “cute” and I did not give it any further thought.

I also decided to read Adichie’s “book” in the hope of shedding some light on a topic that to me seemed trivial.

The “book” is only 23 pages long and yet opened my eyes to an issue that I thought occurred only once in a while as some isolated incident. Small acts that I had not recognised as sexism, acts that I see happening in everyday life, that we as society accept, can only be stopped if as stated in Adichie’s own words “We [...] raise our daughter’s differently. We must also raise our sons differently.”

After reading the book and rethinking the message of the video, I finally see the point they both try to bring across, that at some point in our lives we accept sexism as normal, we just do not consciously realise it.

“We should all be feminists” is definitely a good read that has inspired me to do a few more blog posts in which I will delve deeper into the subject.

The TEDx video is also linked below, please do give it a watch!

1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc
2)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs

human rights feminism Blogging Intern 2014 We should all be feminists Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie