Have You Met Galuh?

Posted November 17, 2013 no picture Virginia Gunawan

no picture Virginia Gunawan View Profile

Have You Met Galuh?

He is the typical Indonesian twelve years old boy. He goes to school from seven to twelve then, after his brief lunch, he goes to his father’s coconut kiosk. Galuh’s father sells coconut drinks. Under the hot, blistering sun of Surabaya, coconut water is one of the most sought after drink. No wonder Galuh’s father business thrives. However, there are two other kiosks, right next to their kiosk, selling coconut from the exactly same plantation striving to keep their customers. What could has Galuh’s father done right? Or, what could has Galuh done right?

Galuh loves to help his father. He loves to interact with people and people love to interact with Galuh. He knows exactly how much framboise flavored syrup need to be added on certain customers. He adds at least two to four more ice cubes when the weather gets hotter. He keeps their kiosk clean and prepared to welcome their customer. Galuh is giving more.

Giving more is not a common practice in business unless it is followed after paying more. To get more, you have to pay more. In fact, the basic understanding of the economy is to get a certain product at a certain price. Therefore, the most economically logical explanation in selling things is to give exactly, if not less, as what you have been paid.

Galuh, on the other hand, may or may not understand this concept, but he understands the concept of being a “nice person.” It means that he has to take everything into consideration when helping his father’s kiosk. He knows people want their coconut water to be slightly cooler on a sunnier day, so he asks his father if he could add more ice cubes. A simple act of considering what the customers’ wants and needs has made their kiosk busier than the other kiosks.

The practice Galuh performs can be applied in every business. Taking everyone and everything into consideration while making every day business decisions are important these days, but have easily slipped out our minds. Reflecting on Galuh’s example, giving more, would not only benefit the customer but also the business itself. His thought of innocence and sincere gesture might be the root out of our complicated and horrid competition in current business.

Imagine, ten years from now and Galuh had grown into a young man. Would he still remember to be a “nice person”?

Indonesia school business economy sincere