Hello Everyone!

Posted July 14, 2014 Avatar Jessica Owens

Avatar Jessica Owens View Profile

We are all connected

We are all connected

Hello everyone! I am so excited about blogging on VOY and seeing as this is my first post, I thought I would give you all a short introduction.

My name is Jessica and I live in Co. Kildare, Ireland. I just turned 23 and will soon graduate from Dublin City University with an honours degree in International Relations. I am really passionate about women’s rights and equality and was known as the resident feminist in most of my classes! I am currently working as a full-time nanny to three of the most amazing girls (Moya, 9; Ella, 7; and Tara, 5) and am loving every minute of it! As a full-time nanny I am busy from very early in the morning until the evening but I love the fact that no day is the same and there’s always some fresh adventure to be had! My favourite is to go to the woods and try and look for fairies as Ireland is well-known for its magic, myths and legends.

I love to travel, my dad is a pilot so when I was young I lived in both France and Scotland. Also, as part of my university degree I was given the amazing opportunity to study in Prague, Czech Republic for a year and it was an incredible experience. I hope to do a masters in the future so I’m working full time in order to save up some money and discover a new city to live in!

Ireland is a very small country but is full of wonderful, kind and compassionate people and we are well known for our hospitality. Recently we have been struggling against an economic depression which has seen a large number of qualified and brilliant young people emigrate to (mainly) Australia, England and America. There is also a lot of depression in Ireland which is often overlooked and ignored because many people don’t want to admit that they are depressed or need help because it doesn’t fit with the typical Irish happy-go-lucky personality. There have been a number of recent campaigns to shed light on this mental illness along with fundraising walks and marathons.

Another issue which is affecting a large number of young Irish people is our controversial and restrictive laws on abortion. Ireland’s abortion policy has been an important and divisive issue throughout our community. The question of whether a woman should have the right to intentionally terminate a pregnancy has been a source of intense scrutiny and controversy for a number of decades. Intense debates on the issue have been focused on the moral-legal aspects of abortion as opposed to women’s rights or on the grounds of health/medical reasons. According to the Center for Reproductive Rights (2013) Ireland is placed in the most restrictive category which means that Irish abortion laws will only permit an abortion to save a woman’s life. However the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar in 2013 sparked outrage, protests and campaigns which led to the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act coming into effect in January 2014. However, this new law is still very restrictive which can be explained by the influence which the Catholic Church still has over Irish policies.

I hope you guys enjoyed my little introduction! I will be blogging every week about different issues and will raise awareness for issues which I feel passionate about.

Talk to you guys next week!

Ireland Blogging Intern 2014