Hunger issue

Posted April 17, 2012 no picture

Hunger - Hunger is one of the most important issues in the world right now and many people all over the world living in poverty are struggling from hunger.

Hunger is the world’s #1 health risk. It kills more people a year than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined. That is a very big stat because a lot of people have those diseases and hunger is bigger than them combined. And for some weird reason, it seems like to me that we aren’t prioritizing hunger enough. I know we have food drives everywhere but it seems like most of the time all I see are AIDS advertisements and help the AIDS victims. I know we are helping those people that are starving but it just seems that we just aren’t doing as much as we can.

Some other surprising stats about hunger are, that 1 in 7 people in the world go to bed hungry and starving every night. Another surprising stat is, there are more hungry people in the world than the combined populations of USA, Canada, and the European Union. That is the most striking fact I think of them all. Of all the facts I think that shows how many people are struggling from hunger in this world. I think we need to show that fact to the whole world to show how large this problem is.

A fact that I found in the UN website will help us I believe. The fact is, Asia and the Pacific region is home to over half the world’s population and nearly two thirds of the world’s hungry people. I think that is important because it shows us where to start. Most people just think that all the hungry people are in Africa but that’s not even close. I think this fact will help us because most of the food drives that we participate in are going to the Africa region. But the place we really need to help is the Asia and the Pacific Region. The thing is no one knows who to help.

I think that we are doing a good thing helping all those diseases but in my opinion I think we need to help more of the people who are starving because they make up 1/7 of the worlds population.

Photo: © UNICEF/NYHQ2012-0192/Asselin