I Care about Her

Posted May 17, 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia View Profile

Education is important for everyone, but it is especially significant for girls and women. This is true not only because education is an entry point to other opportunities, but also because the educational achievements of women can have ripple effects within the family and across generations. Investing in girls' education is one of the most effective ways to reduce poverty. Investments in secondary school education for girls yields especially high dividends.

In our quest to enhance girls education, the UN in Zambia in partnership with the Zambian celebrity stars,students and Government officials organized a special event today dubbed #BringBackOurGirls #ZambiaCares, an event which was aimed at sending a strong message and showing solidarity with the abducted Nigerian girls, their families, and the Nigerian citizens as a whole. Hundreds of students dressed in red with placards and banners written #BringBackOurGirls and #ZambiaCares turned up in large numbers at the Civic Center in Zambia's capital of Lusaka. At the same event, the Muslim community in Zambia condemned the abduction of 200 Nigerian girls as being retrogressive and against the teachings of the Quran. Minister for Chiefs and Traditional Affairs Prof. Nkandu Luo(Ms) urged all those Zambian parents marrying off their daughters at a tender age to desist from doing so as it is another form of child rights' infringement. In this light, Prof. Luo and the First Lady of the Republic of Zambia, Dr. Christine Kaseba, recently launched an initiative aimed at putting an end to child marriages (with particular attention to) the rural parts of Zambia.

children human rights #BringBackOurGirls #ZambiaCares YR