Indigenous people have rights too

Posted March 27, 2014 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad View Profile

© UNICEF/BANA2014-00351/Mawa

© UNICEF/BANA2014-00351/Mawa

Rights should be respected and honored by another person. Most rights harbored by indigenous people are marginalized because in many cases, they are different with the other people. This is the wrong perception because they are alike. Indigenous people are, perhaps, meant as tribal community who have a close relation to their original lands or nature. This definition is almost false, and the proper meaning of indigenous people are descendants of the original people before their lands were occupied by other. We can positively believe that indigenous people who harbor unique and original cultures in form of dressing, language and agriculture. Yet, there has been no international agreement telling us who indigenous people are. So, you must carefully note how to determine indigenous people because perhaps some unidentified communities will recognize their identification as indigenous people due to no distinct limitations. The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) was adopted by all governments in the world to a consensus indigenous people on the minimum standards necessary including survival, dignity and well-being. Through UNDRIP, we can identify and introduce their rights to the global community. Indigenous people rarely receive protection from the government because most of the national regulations are addressed for the common people who ignore the existence of indigenous people. It could be proven, for instance: in Indonesia indigenous people have an authorization to have forests, but because of corruption, collusion, and nepotism, their forests are grabbed by ‘irresponsible people’ who use the authority of the Indonesian Government. Each country has indigenous people of their own regions. Each government has regulations but there are no regulation to protect them. It is not absurd as to the negotiation to draft United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) which has been needed for a long time. From the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), there are some rights that should be promoted by us to help indigenous people in achieving equity and liberty like us:
1. Indigenous people have rights to LIFE and to live freely. They have LIBERTY. On the other hand, they also have rights in which their CULTURE is protected from assimilation (destruction of culture), and the right to receive SECURITY.
2. Indigenous people have rights to practice and revive their CULTURE, to practice RELIGION and to maintain and use their LANGUAGES.
3. Indigenous people have rights to achieve the same EDUCATION and to stay in school without disparity, to create MEDIA (TV, Internet, Radio, and so on), and to get work and EMPLOYMENT without discrimination.
4. The PARTICIPATION of indigenous people relating to their lives is an imperative thing because it will determine their next lives. In addition, indigenous people have rights to achieve the same DEVELOPMENT socially, economically, and environmentally.
5. Indigenous people also harbor the right to own, use, develop and control traditional LAND AND RESOURCES.
6. The last is SELF-GOVERNMENT AND INDIGENOUS LAWS. Indigenous people also have rights to identify and determine their membership in a certain country, and to create and enforce their laws.
Hopefully, the articles helps them to achieve the same like us. We must protect and promote their rights because it will determine their sustainability in the future. Source: UNICEF. 2013. Know Your Rights: Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples for indigenous adolescents. New York, UNICEF Headquarters.

Freedom of expression education community development indigenous participation liberty laws