Is fighting for change worth it?

no picture Miss
Prakruti

Free source: Photo by Rosemary Ketchum from Pexels

Why are you here?

If you're reading this, I will safely assume that you are here for a reason along the lines of having a great frustration of what's going on in the world, and probably a lot of pent-up anger about what you can do concerning it.

Well, here you are reading this, wondering when I'll get to my point. And that's the thing.

As humans, we work to achieve, to create, to change, and to make an impact; we like results and fast ones at that. But, campaigning and fighting for what we think is right is not something with fast results, and requires so many people; we are just one drop in the ocean. For example, look at the Suffragettes or the Civil Rights movement- both made their strong impact with the involvement of women and POC in the war effort, and spurring milestones in racial and gender equality. But still, in 2018 we face gender inequality, racism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and so much more.

So has it been worth it at all? What's the point if we don't change anything? Well, this could be said about so many things- what's the point of developing medicine when we are not immortal, what's the point of anything if we cannot see the results. Yet, the results of what we do aren't shown immediately, but every day, little by little, our actions, our opinions, even the changing mindsets of each generation adds up. Already, we have made so much progress, that wouldn't even be imagined 60 years ago, and surely if you have to ability to make a change, or even do some good, why not at least try?

Our society has integrated, and little by little, we fight for equality and grow. Without the little actions, the micro-struggles we go through to fight for what we want, there would be no drops in the ocean; we would be left with a drought of an outdated society. Times don't just change, we have to make them.