Mastering English Is the Solution to Strengthen Competitive Skills in Free Trade.

Posted June 14, 2014 Avatar Wahyunii

Avatar Wahyunii View Profile

English is an international language that is used widely all over the world. About 1,500,000,000 people in the world speak English. Another 1,000,000,000 are learning it (based on article in http://www.antimoon.com). Do you want to talk and write letters to interest people that others can’t communicate with? Impress people whenever you are speaking? Or make a big jump in your career and stay success miles forward? The best way is by mastering English. This essay will generalize about how English can help you learn, communicate and advance your career to face global competitions and highlight some of the challenges that we have to prepare to face ASEAN Free Trade Area as a self-motivation for both teachers and students.

AFTA has been made and agreed in the blueprint at the 19th ASEAN Summit in 2011 due to support the local manufacturing in all ASEAN countries. This is the first milestone of an open global competition in the economic sector covering freer flow of goods, services, investment, skilled labor, capital, and such provisions, and as the member of ASEAN. Indonesia has to prepare to welcome the AFTA in 2015.

AFTA brings both advantages and huge challenges to Indonesia. Unfortunately, this issue is not well published since the attention is taken over by private agendas and the presidential election. This causes us to fail to realize the major challenges are straight ahead. If we do not care and cannot be well prepared for AFTA, Indonesia won’t survive in the global competition. We’re not going to be a major player, but a participant instead. The first thing that must be prepared is the ability to use English as an intermediate language among nations and as the fundamental requirements for improving a career to succeed in the free trade.

The first reason why mastering English is important in job seeker sector is, it will help you to gain more opportunities with those who don’t. When AFTA is implemented, the number of labors in each ASEAN country will be increasing and it may require much higher qualifications, whereas English proficiency will soon become a basic requirement. For example, when you are in an interview, most employees that will be hired are the ones that are qualified, talented, smart and confident with fluent English because the skills that are needed the most is the ability to communicate and cooperate with others.

The second is in the education sector. The percentage of interest in reading and writing in the English journal in Indonesia is only 10%. This is far behind Singapore in which the interest in writing and reading reaches 18% of the total population while Malaysia at 20% (based on the data from LIPI (Lembaga Ilmu Pengetahuan Indonesia)). If you can master English, you can learn new scientific discoveries through international references which should be written in English or translated into English.

Those things indicate why we need to learn English. The best way to learn is when the students can feel and actively participate, since the students know that making mistakes become a way to learn, and when the students can use English not only in a test but also in their environment as an international social intercourse. Because the more experience will be gathered when the broader opportunities and challenges such as AFTA is provided. Conclusively, learning English nowadays is a must as a handle to strengthen skills in various sectors. The earlier you learn English, the faster you will master it. So let’s learn English for our greater future.

skills English languages free trade