MDGs in Africa shortlisted for World Summit Youth Award 2013

Posted August 21, 2013 no picture Biodun Awosusi

no picture Biodun Awosusi View Profile

MDGs in Africa shortlisted for WSYA 2013

Of 422 project submitted from 147 countries, MDGs in Africa is one of 60 shortlisted finalists for the three-day 2013 WSYA Winners’ Event in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

In the sixth edition of the World Summit Youth Award (WSYA) the quality of the submitted projects brought the contest to a whole new level. The online jury selected the best projects that will compete to become one of the 18 winners of the WSYA 2013. The first round of evaluation came to an end after three weeks of intensive work in which 27 specialists reviewed 422 projects from 147 countries.

MDGs in Africa met the high demands of the online jury and enters the next round of the World Summit Youth Award (WSYA) 2013 in the category ‘Pursue Truth’. This global contest is dedicated to young developers who employ digital technologies to turn the United Nations Millennium Development Goals into action. Now MDGs in Africa competes against 59 websites, apps and other innovative youth projects. If it withstands critical inspection by a jury of internationally renowned ICT-experts, an invitation to Colombo, Sri Lanka, awaits the producer.

MDGs in Africa connects young people to the inspiring stories of the eight millennium development goals in Africa

If the project succeeds, it will be featured at the WSYA Winners’ Event 2013, October 24-26. This price offers more than just an opportunity to explore the biggest city of the tropical island with its aquamarine waters and pristine shores. At one of the globally most important events for young ICT-developers, the next generation of IT-pioneers will have the chance to present their project in front of a high-level audience, including business leaders from the multimedia sector and creative industry, representatives of politics and NGOs and many more.

“For me the WSYA was like a bridge between young, creative people on one side and experienced people that have worked a long time in these fields on the other”, says Darko Bozhinoski from Macedonia, who won the WSYA 2012 in the category Go Green! for his project ‘Climate for Children’.

Besides unique network opportunities, the event-agenda features workshops, seminars and keynote sessions dealing with the most important topics of the future. The absolute highlight of the event is the Award Ceremony and Gala at which the WSYA winners will be honored.

The six categories of the World Summit Youth Award:

Fight Poverty, Hunger and Disease!

Education for All!

Power 2 Women!

Create your Culture!

Go Green!

Pursue Truth!

MDGs in Africa is nominated in Pursue Truth category!

About the World Summit Youth Award (WSYA): The WSYA is an annual award and a network for young people, under 30 years of age, using the Internet, mobile phones or other digital media to put the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) into action. The MDGs were set in 2000 by the UN to prompt member states and civil society to fight poverty, hunger and disease, inequalities, lack of education and environmental degradation.

Here is the list of the shortlisted projects!

On behalf of the editorial team at MDGs in Africa Blog, I am glad to share this great news and look forward to the seeing the blog emerge as one of the 18 winning projects :)

developing countries WSYA 2013WSYA MDGsinAfrica @MDGsinAfrica MDGs in Africa Blog World Summit Youth Award 2013 Millennium Development Goals