Media Spotlights Youth Mappers in Brazil

Avatar Joe @unicefgis

Youth Mapper in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Kite Mapping.

This week the incredible work of youth mappers in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil has been highlighted by two prestigious media organizations, the BBC and Fast Company. Since August 2011 years over 250 youth mappers have been trained in Brazil by Centro de Promoção da Saúde – CEDAPS ( with the support of UNICEF. The young people are learning how mobile phones and modified kites rigged with cameras can be innovative tools for reporting environmental risks and hazards.

Through the mapping process, the youth are becoming powerful public advocates who can influence the future of their communities. Read the recent press articles about the amazing work of our mappers in Rio:

Fast Company -

Based on this great success in Brazil, we are in the process of taking the Voices of Youth Maps initiative to communities around the world, and we need young people to help us innovate and become part of a new international community of youth mappers. If you are between the ages of 18 - 25, and interested in solving the world's environmental problems, apply to become part of the first group of global Voices of Youth Mappers: