NGOs In India- Touching lives everywhere

Posted February 17, 2014 no picture Madhuvanti_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

no picture Madhuvanti_GEMConnect_Chennai_India View Profile

Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) are those organisations that are neither part of the government nor for-profit businesses. They can be classified into different types. Each NGO orientation depends on the type of activity they wish to undertake such as human rights, environment, education, etc. NGOs can be local, regional or national.

· Vazhai, a local NGO in Tamil Nadu, strives to provide equal educational opportunities to rural children. Workshops are conducted with contents on academics, personality development and life skills. One-to-one mentoring methodology is implemented.

· Eureka Child Foundation, also a local NGO in Tamil Nadu, works in the poorest villages of Tamil Nadu to ensure education and health for children from marginalised families. It provides high quality educational inputs in Tamil, English, Math and Science, with the help of people who have completed teacher training courses.

· Asha is a secular organisation in India focusing on basic education in the belief that education is a critical requisite for socio-economic change. Asha has 67 chapters worldwide- 48 in the US, 12 in India, 6 in Europe and 1 in Canada (as of 2011).

It has 228 projects alone in Tamil Nadu, and almost every project is given funds by a chapter (a branch of Asha) in India or abroad. There are many such national NGOs aiming for universal primary education for “all.” Smile foundation, Nanhi Kali, Cry, Care, Pratham, Teach for India, Make a difference, etc. (They have branches in almost all states of India).

Human rights NGOs are non-governmental organisations that work to protect human rights and end human rights violations.

· Working Women’s Forum (WWF), an NGO in Chennai, was born out of an activist's commitment that the poor are entitled to their rights, in terms of organised social platform, access to credit, education, health care and all the other basic services. This NGO has many accomplishments (three of them are):

i) Efforts have reduced the incidence of child mortgage and bondage.

ii) Also its efforts enable children in integrating themselves with the formal education systems and

iii) Through the efforts of unionisation of women National Union of Working Women (NUWW) has implemented wage revisions for beedi (thin, Indian cigarette) rollers, agarbathi (incense stick) rollers and lace artisans. For instance - the beedi rollers who were paid just Rs.3/-per 1000 beedies rolled, today get about Rs.24/- per 1000 bee dies, the lace artisans paid about Rs.2/- per reel (1500 meters) of lace work, today earn Rs.50/- to Rs.100/- per reel. Agarbathi workers getting Rs.1.50/- per 1000 sticks rolled today get Rs.30/- per 1000 sticks.

Through NUWW's efforts 'The Devadasis' of Bellary, a sexually exploited group of women / adolescent girls, were sensitised on their right to break away from the exploitative tradition and pursue gainful employment. With an alternate means of survival these women have successfully over thrown the cultural barriers and are able to lead a life of dignity.

· Association for India’s Development (AID) in Assam focuses on livelihood improvement, flood preparedness, education, etc.

Parijat Academy is a school located near Guwahati for the underprivileged children of an area called Pamohi. The area where the school is located comprises of a number of tribal villages and most of the people living in the villages are poor farmers and daily wageworkers working in nearby stone quarries.

· Names of a few NGOs in Northeast India are: Action for women and child advancement, Association for backward community development, Society for Promotion of Appropriate Development Efforts (SPADE).

NGOs play a vital role in the development of people in a country. It supports people personally where the government cannot. I, for one, will assist the children in my area who are deprived of education or need extra support in their studies.

india GEM GEM Education for All NGO