Poor implementation of midday meal scheme in India

Posted February 18, 2014 no picture Santnam Bakshi_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

no picture Santnam Bakshi_GEMConnect_Chennai_India View Profile

© UNICEF/ETHA201300426/Ose

© UNICEF/ETHA201300426/Ose

The midday meal scheme is an ambitious remedy the government is using to deal with the situation of education and nutrition of the children of India. Acknowledging this effort of the government, nearly 120 million children across the country make use of this scheme.

However, the lackluster performance regarding the implementation of this scheme has served as a deterrent towards its use and has eclipsed the incentives of the scheme. Ignorant actions of a principal of a school in Bihar where this scheme is being implemented claimed the lives of 23 children in the village of Dharmashati Gandaman, as the cooking oil used was stored in a bottle earlier used to store insecticide. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated example. Cases of poor quality food are not uncommon. Lizards and insects being found in the midday meal on some occasions is an example of the consequences of poor implementation of this scheme. A peculiar incident in Jharkhand involved the use of washing powder instead of salt, leading to the illness of 40 children in the Hazaribagh district. Several other problems such as corruption and lack of monitoring of the scheme led to shortages in supply of food for the midday meal scheme.

I believe the above tragic situation can be solved by giving jobs to some of the parents of the poor children, benefiting from the scheme responsible to collect the food grains from government go-downs and for cooking the midday meal. This will help create a considerable number of jobs and will considerably improve the efficiency and functioning of the midday meal scheme.

Government india Parents food security corruption Jobs