Protesting.

Posted August 12, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

Palestinians flags outside Israeli Embassy, High Street Kensington.

As I walked down the normally tranquil Kensington High Street, I noticed something rather unusual. The street was no longer tranquil and quiet. Instead you could hear chanting, something along the lines of "1. 2. 3. 4. Occupation no more. 5. 6. 7. 8. Israel is a terror state."

Now for your average shopper this can be quite surprising, but the message hundreds of thousands of Londoners were trying to get across is that what Israel is doing is wrong. The murder of innocent Palestinian children, and indeed Israeli children is completely unecessary, forcing many, including myself to question why is it happening?

Many people in the UK, and across the globe have chosen to boycott certain companies, such as McDonalds, Starbucks, and Marks & Spencer's, for offering financial aid to Israel. And indeed after rallying outside the Israeli Embassy in Kensington, protesters then preceded to the McDonald's and Marks and Spencer's, encouraging others to avoid shopping there too.

Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the issue, but we all hear of the atrocities occurring on a day-to-day basis, in both Palestine and Israel. And it is sad to see that so many lives are being lost. So many young lives. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but the average age in Palestine is just 17 years old. So, does that mean children are ruling the country? And Israel are firing at children?

Something monumental happened in British politics just a couple of days ago. Baroness Warsi, the first Muslim women in the Prime Minister's cabinet resigned. Her reason was that she cannot stand by and let the UK continue supplying arms to Israel. Was her resignation the best move, in this game of chess that is politics? Well, I guess we'll never know. One thing is for sure that people are still dying in both countries daily.

What's your view? Do you think peace will ever be achieved? And Israelis and Palestinians will be able to live together, side-by-side in harmony?

peace conflict UK Palestine Blogging Intern 2014 Israel gaza protesting