School vs. Learning

no picture Noelle N.

The modern-day school system is a controversial affair. Are we really learning or are we just memorizing and regurgitating information that is force-fed to us? School was once something I was ecstatic to go to, and slowly, over the years, it has become tiring, a seemingly never-ending obligation.

It has become a cycle of going to bed at 2am finishing an assignment that does not interest me, and waking up four hours later. It's going to a place full of people who judge you and gossip about you behind your back and smile to your face. School has become a place where all sorts of useless information is shoved down your throat, and causes you to stress about things that do not matter in the long run.

Yet, we are still tested on this, and deemed stupid if we don't know it. Then we are graded by one single letter, which is compromised of all the other grades together. This grade is then added to the rest of your subject's grades, to equal a number less than four. With the way the American educational system is run, this number holds a vast amount of power. Too much power and influence for a number that is based solely on memorized (and then promptly forgotten) information.

And this is why school differentiates from learning. For true, memorable learning is rarely done in a classroom. Learning is visiting places you've never been to before and conversing with people of different ages and life experiences. I don't want to learn in a classroom anymore. I don't know about you, but I want to travel and meet people from completely different backgrounds and learn about their stories and ways of life. I want to be fueled by knowledge and driven by inquiry. And most importantly, I don't want to lose passion for the things I previously loved over worry about exams. There's more learning to do than a classroom can provide.