Should Countries Implement K-12 Program?

Kate Anne Joy Mesias

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSrrF5f0lmkbmjSKFowXg2YWOOAb9ki3LajsYlMSIk2YRKk8HWc https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSrrF5f0lm...

Source: http://drpfconsults.com/10-things-you-should-know-...

Being educated is very important especially for us in the 21st Century and for the next generations. Education molds us to improve our skills, learnings, and thoughts as a human being.

That is why K to 12 was implemented for several countries. Countries who are under this system are USA, Australia, Singapore, Canada India, Japan, China, Germany and the Philippines. K to 12 was founded by Ronald J. Packard last 2000 and it covers Kindergarten and 12 years basic education to provide sufficient time for mastery of developing skills, concepts, employment and entrepreneurship. The K to 12 Program is very important because it helps many students (1) to be globally competent, (2) to improve their skills and (3) to reduce unemployment rate.

Becoming globally competent

The K to 12 Program helps many students to be globally competent because the curriculum uses standard instructional programs to build students’ knowledge and skills in different subject areas including courses that makes them employable when they finish high school. K to 12 widens opportunities for students to choose career paths they want as early as Grade 10. By the end of the K-12 career- and global-ready students can develop and apply critical cultural frameworks in their investigations and learning about global society. Meaning, students explore their own culture, make comparisons with other cultures and think of the global issues. It develops students' critical thinking capacity and research skills. With the new curriculum, it helps graduates to have higher quality of education, have the global standards needed for the years that follow and to be ready for expanding labor market.

Improving skills

The K-12 curriculum helps students to improve their skills because in this program schools help to increase students’ engagement and academic skills as the foundation for gainful employment - something that can ignite students' curiosity, creativity, motivation and imagination. K-12 teaches students the 21st century life skills like flexibility, initiative, social skills, productivity and leadership. By improving and developing their skills, individual students have higher qualities that are needed to be globally competent and to be successful in future and for our society's situation for the next years.

Reducing unemployment

Lastly, the K to 12 Program helps to reduce the unemployment rate in many countries. According to a report of International Labor Organization (ILO) published in 2014, the Philippines has the highest unemployment rate among members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). The study showed that the Philippines registered an unemployment rate of 7.3 percent as of 2013, lagging behind Indonesia (6%), Brunei (3.7%), Burma (3.5%), Malaysia (3.2%) and Singapore (3.1%).

The K-12 program is the new educational system to improve the basic education in the countries where it is implemented. The K-12 envisions that high school graduates should master the basic competencies, prepared for the world of work or entrepreneurship or higher education, legally employable and globally competitive and skills relevant to the job market. And K-12 program will make high school graduates ready for employment. Meaning under K-12 curriculum children who finish high school will no longer be idle as they are ready for employment.

With this curriculum, K-12 graduates will have better opportunities not just in their country but globally and ensure that students have sufficient time to learn more about different subject areas and courses that can help them finding a good and high salary work.