Smartphones: a step forward or back?

no picture Ismaeel Yaqoob

Do you ever feel controlled by your phone? It’s become a second ligament to me; every feeling, every idea, every moment is no longer experienced to- my phone just pinged, fracturing my thought track.

There are a lot of us in Generation Z that enjoy many luxuries- freedom of speech, clean drinking water, the right to shelter- but what have we done as humans? We have done what we do best, created another way of entrapping ourselves in a seemingly impossible situation. I feel that I have lost my true values and what it really means to be a human, handing my gift of life over to a hunk of metal pulled off a production line.

Mankind has an illness, and it’s that we are unable to achieve contentment. The Buddhists make this their life long ‘quest’, so do the Hindus, the Muslims- Moksha, Jannah, Nirvana. Are we just failing to accept that there is no such thing as perfection? Why are we no longer able to enjoy a funny moment without thinking this will make a good Snapchat story or mindlessly tapping through other people’s images- facades put up to reflect that they are further than you on that road to contentment.

I'm not going to be ignorant. The fact of the matter is a great deal of good can come from this 'hunk of metal' that I am so quick to wave off. Think about the emergency situations where emergency services are a tap, or even a "siri", away. The endless amounts of knowledge vested beneath the 11 inches of glass, the ability to say what you want whenever you want, be named or unnamed, fight injustice and correct grammar. I recently built an app for my school to improve inter-institutional coordination and student organisation.

Sure there's a lot of good, but does this equalize all the bad? I don't know, that's for you to decide.

Join my #nophonechallengetoday, one week of no phone (books are a good start), comment down the results- what've you got to lose?