Spreading the Importance of Education in Latin America

Posted May 7, 2013 no picture

Here in the United States we take the fact that we have access to education, for granted. I did too. However, my perspective on education was redefined this year, when I, along with 26 other high school students, traveled to Nicaragua to volunteer with the school that we help sponsor there. The Terra Linda High School Nicaragua Service Club at my high school, works with the organization El Hogar de los Niños to help sponsor a school that caters to over 200 children, ages 4-17 in one of the most dangerous neighborhood in Managua.

Throughout the year, we work to fund our own trip and sponsor the school. This past April, I traveled along and witnessed the beauty of international service. Throughout the week, my peers and I prepared lessons for the students that taught them about music, art, and hygiene. It is clear that those children truly appreciated the little that we offered. Many of the children came from dysfunctional homes, with drug addicts for parents, or abusive families. But it was clear that their school, El Divino Niño provided an oasis for them. The power of education must not be underestimated, because education provides us with the tools to change our world.