Take That Step (And Get Tested)

Posted September 4, 2012 no picture

Episode 10. Sofia won’t tell Fally about the baby because she’s not sure who the father is. She won’t test because she doesn’t want to know her status or bear the weight of knowing her baby may be at risk. Do you think Sofia would benefit from taking an HIV test?

Source: http://mtvshuga.com/2012/08/take-that-step/

It would definitely benefit her and the baby.

Avoidance is a common coping mechanism. Except you’re not really coping. You’re just putting off the inevitable and you’ll eventually have to deal with it.

Take Sofia for example. A baby is eventually going to show even if she doesn’t want to accept her pregnancy due to her doubt about the father – and her despair over the rape. Not only will the baby show, but it will in due time be born. Then what?

I think the most sensible decision she can make in her position is to go and get tested. HIV can be transmitted from a HIV-positive woman to her child either during pregnancy, or during labour and delivery, or by breastfeeding. However, the risks of mother-to-child transmission of HIV can be reduced to below 1% by the appropriate use of HIV treatment during pregnancy and labour, by having a caesarean delivery if you have a high detectable viral load, and (when safe alternatives are available) by not breastfeeding.

Whatever her status, she’ll be better placed to make decisions concerning her own health and that of her baby’s. She will be giving herself the opportunity to secure a healthy life for her child, especially if it turns out that she’s positive. This is because with the correct intervention, it’s highly likely that she will be able to avoid the mother-to-child transmission of HIV.

Armed with the right information and correct medical care, Sofia doesn’t have to worry about her future or that of her child’s.

But the first step is knowledge. Then actually taking a step. Share the poll.. Take it on the link above