The future of young people in a Brexit Wales

Avatar aarwynne

Cymru yn Ewrop - Wales in Europe

Cymru yn Ewrop - Wales in Europe

We have voted to leave the EU, plunging our country into instability and uncertainty.

The public purse is being stretched like never before, and still we vote to make ourselves poorer. What will happen to our already underfunded public services? Now that we are to lose grants from European funds, I worry for public services in my area and the lack of opportunities that will arise for young people to stay to live and work here.

Everyone’s feeling the squeeze, but with young people being one of the most underrepresented group in politics, we are taking the full brunt of Tory austerity.

A YouGov poll suggested 75% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain in the EU. This said, the amount of young people who actively take part in politics is disappointing and worrying. It’s a vicious circle; those who feel dissatisfied by our political system don’t want to take part, and therefore things don’t change.

Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales supports votes for 16 & 17 year olds, and is looking for people from all ages and backgrounds to stand in County Council elections across Wales next year, joining experienced Plaid Cymru teams. We need to help build a fairer and more equal Wales for everyone.