The Instagram "Art Hoe" Effect

no picture An intern
Helene

Free source: Pexels

Free source: Pexels

Before starting my rant, I think it’s important for me to explain a few terms I’ll be using and make a sort of disclaimer so that what I’m saying isn’t misinterpreted.

When I am talking about looks, I want to make clear that there is no wrong in preferring a more glam or natural look. To each, their own and I am in no place to judge anyone nor do I want to.

When I use the current social label "art hoe" I'm using it in a positive light, as a term for people that are very into the art culture and being close to nature that are more aware of the discrimination and violence within our society. My use of the term "art hoe" is in no way, shape, or form derogatory.

Thanks and enjoy!

After 3 years of spending all my free time on Youtube watching bottoxed beauty gurus teaching me how to achieve a full coverage look and how to give myself a vampy look with eye-shadow and red lipstick. After countless arguments with my parents on how much makeup I put on. The past few months have been a sort of reveal. No more full coverage, no more full glam. I started despising the idea of a thick layer of makeup all over my face. I wanted to highlight what features I liked and not hide what I disliked anymore.

Once I realized my new found dislike for wearing too much makeup, I tried to understand where it came from. Why is it that a growing number of people are now going back to a more natural look and have left their contour brushes behind?

I believe the reason is Instagram.

On this platform different types of aesthetics are born. One of them being the "art hoe". The term has catalyzed a subculture of girls and boys interested in kånken backpacks, art socks, and journaling, that mainly go thrift shopping for the vintage look.

It isn’t easy to define what being an "art hoe" truly is. I’d define it as a lifestyle, a way of portraying yourself. It’s sort of like being a "hipster". As I see it, "art hoe's" are into art and culture. They often go to museums or to sunflower fields to have photo-shoots, their hair is colored in pastel dye and they sport heavily blushed dewy makeup looks. They think about the vibes people and crystals put out and listen to what I call "vibey music" like The Growlers, Rex Orange County, Alvvays etc.

It’s from this culture that I think many decided to become more natural, less artificial. I feel that certain brands have found a way to capitalize on this by overpricing "natural" and "artistic" items and still making a profit from those trying to fit into the "art hoe" lifestyle.

The "art hoe" aesthetic is also being aware of cultural injustice and wanting to make a change. Being "woke" on social media is praised and could actually become beneficial for tomorrow’s society.

And the idea of going back to the basics, to a simpler lifestyle and a more realistic image of what people should look like is good too and will also be beneficial to younger generations.

Have you ever heard the saying "less is more"? This is what I believe in. I don’t believe in perfection anymore and I have started to believe that my imperfections such as under eyes circles, freckles and facial redness are actually flattering.

I am tired of hearing girls being insecure about the way they look like because they don’t look like the Instagram models they follow. Having a stick figure can be achievable for some, but may be at the cost of your health. And I feel like women with curvy figures like Marilyn Monroe’s are just as pretty as a Kendall Jenner or a Gigi Hadid.

After an era of makeup and plastic surgeries, our societies changed and went back to the basics.

Right now I’m in love with the idea of a sun-kissed blushed look, but it’s maybe just a trend. Maybe that in the span of a few years I’ll have had a nose job and breast implants. But right now I’m happy with the way I look like.

Maybe it’s the influence of the "art hoe" trend and social media or maybe it’s just part of growing up.