The Paradox of Change

Avatar belenfernnandez

Lately, I've been reading a lot about the different events that are going on in the world and how we need to make a change.

Change, it seems to be the magic word nowadays...

Growing up, I always heard the people around me say thing like: "the world has always been a mess, it is never going to change", or "young people think they can change the world, but it can't be changed. It is what it is", and so on.

Then, the elderly tell me there's nothing they can do, it is too late for them... it all depends on us, the youth.

But again, a lot of adults - at least in my experience - claim that we are either too young to make a difference - meaning that we don't know what we are talking about, we don't really understand, and we are idealistic and naive - or that nothing is ever going to change, therefore we shouldn't bother, when in reality we humans have created this mess.

So, if the elderly think their time has passed, if we are told we are too young, and everyone in between believes creating change is a waste of time, of course we are not going to improve.

I have been giving this issue of age and change a lot of thought in the last few months, and I realized that contrary to what I had been led to believe, change is the only constant of the universe. Just think of how society worked 50 years ago, how fashion evolved, how women have more options in life, etc. We are still working on all these issues but my point is that life is infinite and never remains the same.

Now, do we have a say in it? Of course we do. Most of the time change is up to us, and your age is not an excuse, it does not condition your abilities. There is always a way, whether you are eighty or ten years old. If you are here, you can do something.

As Dr. Jane Goodall says: "What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make."

So find a cause, use your voice and be the difference you wish to see in the world.