The potential to make a change lies with youth

Avatar gitesh gourav

In the words of Franklin D Roosevelt: "We cannot always build the future for the youth, but we can build our youth for the future"

While India houses a massive 17% (1) of the world population, it is also the home to nearly 116 million (2) children living in extremely poor conditions, belonging to the impoverished and unprivileged section of the society. The huge gap between the rich and the poor attributes to various factors, including lack of opportunities, deficiency in the facilities of growth, loopholes in the implementation of welfare schemes, and so on. While such factors are eventually rectified, and their accessibility to people and children increased, it still takes a long time for the changes to influence every nook and corner of the society.

If carefully analysed, it is quite observable to the keen eye that while most of the developmental plans and initiatives seem highly dependent on the reigning government, a high degree of scope for bringing change exists through informal initiatives that can be undertaken by the credible and responsible youth of the nation.

Government's hands are often tied to the inevitable factor of TIME, which might not be enough to suit the exact quantity and quality of the population the government is seeking the growth of. Ironically, the youth, have never been lacking in any desire to function as sources of knowledge, opportunity, cooperation, encouragement, confidence, morality and so on. Although we youth aren’t in any position to discharge such a duty, it certainly sounds ethically logical, when one considers the nation as his own asset, fellow citizens as his own family, and has an optimistic belief on inclusive growth.

Even though youth in the developing nations of the world constitute an enormous 85% (3) of the total, any initiative would materialize into action and results if this young population undertakes such tasks and activities as their own responsibilities to discharge. Youth are not supposed to or expected to take power into our hands, but instead, take candles of knowledge, confidence, encouragement, optimism and morality, and bring light to those who are unprivileged, illiterate, feared, bullied, diffident, traumatized, and so on.

What do I do? Besides my regular job, I teach a group of kids, many of whom are orphans, live on the street, pick rags, have no regular access to food, no consistent source of income, and absolutely no motivation to study. All they do is, earn few bucks during the day, and buy some food with that at night. The place where I teach these 12-15 kids, is make-shift and lies alongside a grocery bazaar. Every day, numerous people come to the market to buy their daily groceries. When they see our class, they express amazement and appreciate the effort. A few promise to contribute, and a few, out of sheer kindness, buy the kids, fruits and stationaries. While I genuinely appreciate their care and concern for the kids, I end up requesting them to contribute a mere 15 minutes, whenever possible, for the teaching activity. Many approve and confirm, but most have not been able to come to teach, for more than a day or two.

When a bud flowers to form shiny petals, casting a satisfactory feeling, it's not just the tree's roots, or the tree's stem that helps it bloom, rather it is every branch, stem, leaf, and even all the other flowers, which regulate efforts and resources for that little bud to blossom.

Therefore, I urge my fellow youths around the world to stand and act. Do something that makes a visible and persistent change. This could include anything from teaching kids, spreading awareness about the environment, counselling for peace against violent extremism, donating books and notes to those in need, planting trees, saving electricity, saving water, boost the morale of kids, motivating people to study, helping someone cross the road, and what not…

I suppose, the idea is clear enough to ring bells in the ears of the concerned and considerate.

References:

1: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/31/census-17-percent-world-indian

2: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2016/10/03/nearly-385-million-children-living-extreme-poverty-joint-world-bank-group-unicef-study (385 million children living in extreme poverty; with over 30 per cent of extremely poor children living in India alone)

3: http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/publications-a-z/455-youth-and-the-state-of-the-world