The Question of Abortion

Posted July 15, 2014 Avatar Jessica Owens

Avatar Jessica Owens View Profile

What is YOUR opinion

What is YOUR opinion

“No woman can call herself free who does not control her own body.” - Margaret Sanger

The question of abortion policy has been a divisive issue for both states and for communities. Intense debates and protests have followed abortion policies, and it is an issue which is not easily resolved. It is very difficult to say that abortion HAS to be legal/illegal because it can often depend on the women’s circumstances and her (and her partners) beliefs. There are two very different and often conflicting sides to the debate on abortion. On the pro-choice side, the question centers on a woman’s right over her own body and for health/medical issues. Whereas, the pro-life debates focuses on the moral aspects of abortion and the rights of the unborn child.

But what is abortion policy in YOUR country? Do you agree/ disagree?

Abortion is currently legal for more than 60 percent of the world’s population, for 26 percent of people it is restricted/ prohibited (Center for Reproductive Rights, 2013). According to the Center for Reproductive Rights (2013) there are four categories of abortion law, from extremely restrictive to without restrictions. The most restrictive abortion laws are those which only permit an abortion to save a women’s life or else the procedure is banned entirely, while states with unrestrictive abortion laws permit the practice but often impose ‘gestational limits’ (Center for Reproductive Rights, 2013).

I am an Irish women and I feel that my country’s abortion policy denies women their rights as equal citizens as access to abortion is criminalised in nearly all circumstances. While I can see some of the positive points made by pro-life activists, I believe that a woman should have the right to control her own body. I do not believe that if abortion is legalised in Ireland all women who become pregnant will ‘want’ one. This is extremely unlikely as those who want/ need an abortion do so for medical, health or deeply personal reasons. Ireland’s abortion policy has been heavily criticised by international and human rights bodies for its failure to legislation abortion under its obligations to human rights treaties and conventions. We currently are below international standards for women’s health. The tragic death of Savita Halappanavar sparked a national outcry on the need to protect women who die as a result of unviable pregnancies.

Do YOU agree that there is a pressing need for abortion to be addressed in countries where it is restrictive/ criminalised? Do you think that public attitudes have come to the point whereby abortion is met with less resistance or do you think that abortion has become even more controversial? Should there be further/ less restrictions for abortions in your country?