The Young People's Voice

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

In traditional Setswana culture and in the broader sense the African tradition, children have no say in the day to day running of the household. They are merely pawns in a chess game and can only really comment and\or contribute when they are older and have their own families. This is similar to how young people used to have no say in the governance of their countries until they were adults.

This however, is not the case anymore as times have changed. Young people have a voice now. Social media has also changed the dynamics of this voice. A simple tweet or blog post can reach millions of other young people worldwide. Not only does it reach young people but also the relevant authorities and informs them about the change that’s needed.

A few months ago, the South African youth started the #FeesMustFall campaign which was meant to voice their displeasure about the increase of university fees. This led to the hashtag trending and even students from universities worldwide showed solidarity for the campaign. This just proves how the unity and cooperation of young people can be a force to be reckoned with and that we as young people can reach milestones and have our voices become change-makers.

My name is Kearoma Mosata and I am a young pan-African writer and feminist in Botswana. My country is a landlocked country in Southern Africa, sharing borders with South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. I am hoping this internship will help me be a voice for not just the youth in my country but also for other African youth and young people worldwide as I believe our cries are similar if not related.

My main goals for this internship are to use this opportunity to voice young Botswana’s grievances, share our achievements as young people and also commend the young change-makers helping our country and continent grow. I am excited to be a part of this Voices of Youth initiative and I hope after the internship I too will have reached a milestone that will help young people.