There is so much pegged on 2015

Posted April 27, 2014 no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba

no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba View Profile

I recently realized how significant the year 2015 will be for this world. There is so much pegged on it, most of which is on how the world will focus its development agenda for the coming decade or so. In a moment I will break it down to you, but I am very sure you have a slight idea of what it is I am aiming at. Even if you are new to the development world, or your focus is not as global; I am confident you have mentioned some of these agendas under discussion.

Millennium Development Goals aka the MDGs

After the “consultation euphoria” that gripped 2012 and much of 2013, the world has now shifted its focus to “influencing outcome”. Some prefer to just anxiously wait for the new set of development goals to be unveiled sometime in 2015.

Having been directly involved in running consultation process, I cannot wait to see what the UN Secretary General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, considers the key priority area for the next decade or so. I really hope youth unemployment which I have been strongly rooting for will be included.

The climate change agreement

Being an active player in the climate change movement and a coordinator of a youth based climate change advocacy (AYICC-K) movement, I am really looking forward to what will happen in 2015. With a history of disagreement and reckless indecision in their Conference of Parties meetings, the proposal for a legally binding agreement to take after the Kyoto Protocol does not look very promising. However, we cannot lose hope just yet, let us wait for this year’s COP in Lima (Peru) that will set the stage for the final meeting in Paris where a decision will be made. All in all we have to appreciate the complexity involved in formulating an agreement between 193 countries who all have different interests in the matter.

The disaster risk reduction framework

Unless you have been directly involved in disaster risk reduction issues, you may not be aware of this discussion. Also bearing in mind that there aren’t a lot of politics involved, the media focus on this has also been low. However this does not mean that it is not important at all. There have been a series of consultative meetings that have been happening at the macro level. I happened to attend the African regional platform on DRR in 2013, in this the African platform was consolidating its inputs which were to be presented in the global meeting. A similar process is happening this year.

These are the key areas I will be anxiously focusing on, I hope their outcomes will be a true reflection of the issues affecting humanity all over the world. I look forward to their release sometime next year. If you think there is any agenda I should be aware of, feel free to leave a comment.

climate change MDGs post 2015 UN Youth Unemployment 2015