Till We Meet Again

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

Reach for the stars.
Photo Credit Tumblr.com

Reach for the stars. Photo Credit Tumblr.com

I type this fighting back tears, because I hate goodbyes. My best friend says I have attachment issues, so I guess this is one of those times where these issues show.

I am sitting in the Statistics lab and am supposed to be working on my Statistical Consulting assignment, but here I am being reduced to tears by this post. I have been dreading writing this, I have been stalling till a few minutes ago when I came across a quote by Harriet Tubman that gave me the courage and motivation to write this. Harriet Tubman was an abolitionist, humanitarian and many other things - to me she was a superwoman. She says “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” This says so much to me and I hope it equally gives you the courage and the guts to rise up and follow your dreams. This internship was me trying to reach for the stars and see what they hold for me.

The past three months have been AMAZING. Many don't believe that I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be selected for the Voices of Youth blogging internship. I applied because I saw a chance to write, which is something that lights my path, something that calms me down and speaks for me a lot of times. I also applied because I saw a chance to use my writing and my thoughts and my stand as a young Motswana woman to reach someone, to change someone’s mindset, to change the world.

I was skeptical about applying because most of my writing used to be fiction and poetry. I didn't know how I was going to integrate that into Voices Of Youth, but alas, 3 months later I have written non-fiction pieces on a number of things. I challenged myself and I am proud of what I have achieved with my time here. I grew as a writer and mostly I learnt. I also got a lot of opportunities thanks to this internship. One of my posts was re-published on sapeople.com and started a conversation on emigration. I also got a chance to write a two-part series on my time as an intern for Voices of Youth for ProInterns, which is a website aimed at helping young people in Uganda get jobs or internships.

Every week for the past 3 months I would go to the Voices of Youth website and read the fellow interns’ posts because this is not just about me writing, it’s about me learning and growing. I have to admit that I have been naive in thinking the problems I encounter as a Motswana, as an African are problems the rest of the world doesn't have. To my surprise, we go through similar problems. I read Devonnie’s post on cat-calling and how women are sexualised for how they are dressed. It reminded me so much of something I had written for artsandafrica. That day I realized that initiatives like Voices of Youth, which bring young people together, are very much needed.

What we had for the past 3 months was a round-table of young people who shared their views. We started conversations that the rest of the world somehow tip-toes around. I wrote about Burundi at a time when there was bloodshed and most people were ignoring it. I am truly thankful for the young people I interacted with.

To all the interns, I wish you guys the best in life and I do hope I have someone to show me around when I visit your countries. Stay in touch.

To Mischa, thanks so much for the kind words and mostly for believing in me. Your comments made my week, every week, because sometimes even I didn't believe in something I wrote. You taught me to believe in myself and for that I am thankful.

My final words to everyone are: never limit yourself. If you want something? Reach for the stars. I hope the Harriet Tubman quote I shared will make you believe that no matter where you are from, your gender, your social background or anything that you might think will hinder your progress, you can still be a star. So go on and soar on.

This isn't goodbye, more like, till we meet again….