Time: The Uncatchable Thief

Avatar High Schooler
Komal_Samrow

https://www.pexels.com/photo/analogue-classic-clock-clock-face-280264/

Have you ever wondered where the time went? How just yesterday you were playing in your preschool playground and now you're making your way through high school?

Strange, Isn't it?

Why does time never seem to slow? Why does it only speed, faster and faster until we hit our final stop in the journey that is life?

I think that sometimes the journey is so long that we often worry about the road ahead, as opposed to focusing on what is in front of us. That's why sometimes we miss a chance to look at the beautiful scenery around us, or fail to see a crack or pothole right at our feet. Our eyes adjust to our surroundings, so we tend to miss all the special details and quirks of the world. We're so blinded by the monotony of our daily lives that we've started to take the most wonderfully mundane things for granted.

A family dinner.

A day at school.

A simple breath of fresh air.

About a week ago I was able to visit the UNICEF Headquarters. My dad took me up to the 23rd floor where his office is. As I stepped through the big glass doors, I felt a wave of nerves wash over me. "What if I said something embarrasing? What would his colleagues think of me?" I feared that I would walk in and be faced with a bunch of stony faced middle-aged men and women that hated the idea of a teenage girl walking into their office. Instead, I was welcomed by a group of wonderful people who offered me cookies, cracked jokes, and seemed genuinely interested in the words we so eagerly exchanged.

I remember one especially sweet woman. She gave off a friendly vibe that made me feel incredibly welcome as I stepped into her office to say hello. We exchanged our greetings, past the typical "hey, how are you," and whatnot. And yet despite the lovliness of our meeting, I proceeded to go about my day without giving it a second thought.

A few days a later my dad went out for a lunch with his office colleagues. When he came back, his usual banter and playful demeanor was replaced by a dour and solemn man. Before I could even ask what was wrong, he reached out to me in broken and grief ridden sentences. He said, "Do you remember that nice woman at work? The one whose office was near mine?" I nodded, and he continued. "Well, she was supposed to come to our lunch today. When she didn't show up, I started texting her." He paused and sighed, shaking his head. "Her husband texted me half an hour ago. She had a major stroke." As I jumped to my father's side, consoling him and comforting him, I felt my own heart drop a little. This sweet, lovely old lady that I had been laughing and conversing with just a few days ago was now lying in a hospital bed, barely able to move or speak.

How crazy is it that one day a person can be so full of life, and the next be nearly emptied of it? I spent so long mulling the few short moments that the woman and I had shared. She was kind to me, and meeting her was so much fun. So then why didn't I stop to appreciate that moment, not even for a second?

The problem with people today is that we move too fast. We're constantly rushing around, running back and forth from place to place without stopping to think, without meditating on our experiences. We are incredibly lucky to share the moments we do with eachother, but those memories aren't worth much if we lock them up in the back of our brains. So let's put in a little extra effort.

Take a moment. Look around you. Take pleasure in the light bouncing off the windows in your home, or the blooming flowers on your porch. Ask your dad how is day was. Tell your mom you love her. Because whether you like it or not, they could be fine one day and be gone the next. Learn to appreciate the little things, and it'll make those rough days a little less rough when you are able to find the light in the darkness.

I was about to submit this article when I heard about the shooting in Las Vegas. The awful tradgedy serves as a reminder to us that tomorrow never has, and never will be guaranteed.

Time is a thief, stealing away our youth, our health, and those around us. It took away my dad's friend, my great grandparents, and those poor people in Vegas.

But it can not take our emotion. It can not take away our feelings; the very essence of being human. And it most certainly can not take away our joy.

So no, you can't catch time, and you definitely can't outrun it.

But you can put up a fight.