Ukraine Today

Posted August 22, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

Invasion of Russia to Ukraine does not surprise me. Through history we see an obsession to possess some territory of Ukraine. And that wish was satisfied. There are general things, and I am not going to retell events which have happened. I would like to share with you what is going on here today.

Let me tell you a brief history.

The protests began on November 21, 2013 in response to the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to suspend the process of preparation for signing of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU and significantly expanded after the crackdown on demonstrations in Kyiv on the night of November 30.

February 22, 2014 the President Victor Yanukovych was recognized as evaded. However, he still considers himself acting head of state. Russia has the same position towards him.

Russia intervened to Crimea on February 20, 2014. Therefore we lost our territory. It was the first part of the armed conflict between Russia and Ukraine. The second stage is the war on the east of Ukraine called Anti-Terroristic Operation (ATO) which is still lasting.

Today

Russia has carried out a direct military intervention on the territory of Ukraine, trying to disguise it under the convoy with humanitarian aid. The Head of Security Service Valentyn Nalyvaychenko said that Russia has three aims. The first is to use the military to transport artillery, the second is the transport of weapons and ammunition to armed groups and the third, most important, the concealment of crimes, hiding the bodies of murdered people from relatives and from the Ukrainian authorities to ensure that the relatives of the victims in Russia did not recognize where there were killed their relatives, he said.

In addition, Nalyvaychenko said that 34 trucks crossed the border with Ukraine already.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine considers illegal crossing of the escort as the violation of the key principles of international law, in particular the inviolability of borders, non-interference in the internal affairs of another state and faithful implementation of international obligations.

***

American and European sanctions against this country do not stop it.

Russia is very aggressive towards Ukraine. And nothing makes it scarier.

***

I do not want war. Nobody wants.