United Nations Declares Famine in Somalia

Posted July 20, 2011 no picture Heather Martino

no picture Heather Martino View Profile

I arrived at work this morning per my usual routine; ate a banana as I rode the bus in to Manhattan, stopped at convenient store to pick up coffee and a bowl of Kellogg’s To-Go Cereal, and sat at my desk eating and drinking as I scanned by Twitter Feed for interesting news. Upon doing so, I saw that Somalia was trending. Intrigued by the possibility of more modern day pirate action, I clicked on the topic, and to my horror, all of the Somalia hashtags (#) were preceded by the word FAMINE. I read further to discover that the United Nations (UN) has officially declared a famine in the East Horn of Africa, in places such as Bakool and Lower Shabelle.

Not only is this the first time the country has seen famine in 19 years, but it is also the first famine of the 21st Century. What happened to the UN Millennium Goals? Just 3 ½ years shy of the 2015 deadline to “Eradicate Extreme Hunger and Poverty,” the very first goal set in place, and more than 30% of children are suffering from acute malnutrition, with two adults or four children dying of hunger each day for every group of 10,000 people in Somalia.

Even worse than reading the facts is seeing the pictures. I sat paralyzed, unable to bring myself to pick up my spoon from my Frosted Mini-Wheats as images of starving babies and children with sunken eyes flash the screen. I know things are bad in Somalia, but I can’t help but wonder how did the situation escalated to the degree of famine?

Conflict, Drought & Poverty

In 2009, a ban on foreign aid agencies was imposed by Al-Shabab, an al-Qaeda-affiliated group which controls large parts of south and central Somalia. Although Al-Shabab has recently allowed limited access to the territories, those seeking to help need further safety guarantees that armed groups will allow staff to reach those in dire need. The bottom line is that even those who want to help, like UN and US aid organizations, are unable to do so because of all the conflict in the region.

Making matters worse, the most severe drought in over half a century is plaguing East Africa, with an estimated 10 million people having been affected. Lack of rainfall has led to widespread devastation of farmlands, causing failed harvests and livestock deaths. Food and water prices have soared, with families struggling to get even one meal a day.

In an area where people depend on farming for survival, mothers desperate to feed their children are walking more than 6 days with no food to find help. Neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia have seen a surge in refugees, with more than 166,000 desperate Somalis, including 70,000 children, forced to leave their drought-stricken homes to seek temporary reprieve in overcrowded refugee camps. NPR reports that the area straddling Somalia, Ethiopia and northern Kenya has been dubbed “the triangle of death.”

Mark Bowden, the U.N.'s humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, issued a statement saying “in the last few months, tens of thousands of Somalis have died as a result of causes related to malnutrition, the majority of whom were children.” Those who do survive can be damaged for life by lack of food and nutrition in their developmental years.

What can be done?

Every day we take it for granted that most of us living in the developed world can simply use our money to go buy food at a local store or market. Imagine having no food, no money, and no access to clean water supplies. People in East Africa and other parts of the world are living like this everyday, hoping and praying that they and their children make it to the next.

By declaring a famine, the UN hopes to galvanize international attention and support. Please strongly consider making a donation to the following aid groups and organizations that are working in the region: USAID, CARE, Save the Children, UNICEF, and the World Food Program. Every little bit helps make a difference in the lives of a starving population.