Voices of Youth Inspire! "I wanted to show by example that everything is possible and even more than our minds let us envision."

Posted May 30, 2013 no picture

Name:

Leonardo Martinez

Age:

I'm 33 years old.

Where are you originally from and where do you currently live?

I am from a town called Malargue which is located 450 Km from Mendoza city, Argentina. I am currently living in San Rafael, Mendoza, Argentina.

According to your business card – what’s your job title?

I am partner and founder of the snow ski trade called 2co skis (derived from the word in spanish 2 cojones skis). Actually, I am the shaper man inside the company.

And how does that compare with what you wanted to do when you were 10 years old?

I think when I was 10 years old, it was very hard to know what I wanted to do, I only was sure that it would be related to nature and outdoors life. I worked with woods since I was a kid, building my own skate boards, paddle boards, sun boards and others. I was sure that my life inside an office, that could not be called a life!

Give us 10 words that describe your typical work day?

Passion, energy, style, sacrifice, constancy, patience, motivation, learning and enthusiasm.

In a nutshell, how did you get to where you are right now? Name some of the most important milestones.

I think that nothing was by chance but causality!!! When I was 6, my parents gave me my first skis, I felt that my life had sense near the mountain, that was the only think that made me feel alive and to fight for what made me happy. My first tasks as assistant in ski tournaments, it made me know that my decision of being near the mountain was a good one, I knew something good was coming. Then I took my first ski instructor course and I worked for 5 years in this profession, until 2005 when I had a ski accident, which broke my back and left me in a wheelchair. That was the worst day of my life, one I still remember today, but at the same time, it was the day that changed my life and when the movie started, because it was the day when I discovered that the passion that the mountain gave me was intact and with more energies than ever, energies to recover and to be strong for the moment of my return to it. So, with my brother Andres, we started the challenge to ski again from a mono ski (adapted chair for the snow), I relived that day the passion that I felt when I was 6 andstarted to ski. In that moment, I could not believe that I was able to become competitive again in that chair, but life would surprise me again and this time with good news: my participation in the 2010 Winter Paralympics in Vancouver. It was the first time that Argentina was represented at these games and it was one of the most inspiring experiences in my life. Then another dream came true in 2007 when I created handmade off track skis, a passion that inspires me!

What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to get to your current position and how did it help you to grow as a person?

The main obstacle against which I had to fight was depression. I knew I had to be strong to go ahead, I knew I could not disappoint my friends and the people who loved me. They made sure my mood never faltered, I could not fail them after so much affection, I could not see them suffering because of me. It was time to overcome my limits, limits imposed by society when it seems that everything is lost. I wanted to show by example that everything is possible and even more than our minds let us envision. I think I could never have imagined the day of the accident. Today, life has taught me that it is worth to keep fighting for your dreams, even when you are not able to imagine how, you can achieve things and everything starts falling into place. Believing in yourself is what leads us to achieve what we want.

How important was your choice of degree/field of study at university for what you’re doing now?

It was very important because it gave me the tools to be able to do what I want to do today. I studied publicity, although I could not finish the career due money problems, It is useful in my work today.

What are the top three things someone needs to excel in your field?

Passion, perseverance and attitude.

What do you think is the MOST important thing governments and/or companies can do to help young people get started in their careers?

One of the most important things they should do is improve their career counseling for young people and this way help them to decide in which career they can make a better performance. To encourage young people to believe in themselves and to give them the tools to make it possible.

On a lighter note, tell us about the strangest day you’ve ever had at work or the strangest thing you had to do?

The strangest thing was working in a fast food house dressed as Santa Claus, handing out candy to children!

Some words to youth out there: What advice can you give them when chasing their dream position?

The ideal job exists, what we should not lose is perspective. It is better to do an analysis of ourselves and recognize what we would do without getting money in exchange ... that is the moment to start looking for it... you should not loose patience, if it is really what makes you happy, you will get it.

Disability thisability Leonardo Martinez Argentina