Walking in the Direction of My Dreams

Avatar student
Kearoma Mosata

All that's standing between you and your dreams is that giant leap of faith.
Source:supplychainshaman.com

All that's standing between you and your dreams is that giant leap of faith. Source:supplychainshaman.com

Often times we live life from day to day, going through the motions. Often times we walk through doors that are not meant for us, doors we would not walk through if we had the choice.

I’m saying this because I have been thinking a lot about life recently. I’m in my final year of a BSc in Applied Sciences with a double major in Mathematics and Statistics. This was not my dream. I actually wanted to be a doctor when I was 18.

I was wide eyed and fresh out of high school. I had just received my results and they were not as I had expected.Two weeks of crying for all the B’s that I had hoped would be A’s nearly led me to a coronary at 18. I resigned myself to the fact that I could still maybe do medicine. Maybe they would still consider me. Then came the tedious yet exciting process of applying for university.

I didn’t get into the pre-med programme at the University of Botswana, the only one of its kind here in Botswana. Eventually I decided to go to my current university and accepted their offer for Applied Sciences.

My plan was to complete the first two years and then transfer to medicine. I was a writer on the side, this was mainly fuelled by an award that I received : Best in English Literature nationally. It was an unexpected achievement but one that opened my eyes to my undying love for literature and writing.

I had been writing but had not really been sharing it with anyone. It was therapeutic writing; I used my words to get through the blows life throws at an 18-year-old. You know, the breakups, and I was still dealing with the loss of my grandmother, the woman who had raised me when my mother was working in a different part of the country.

My first two years at university passed by in a blur and my desire to do medicine seemed to wither away with the years. I decided that, more than anything, I wanted to be an actuarial scientist. My mathematics and Statistics course was more interesting than I had thought.

Here I was, at 21, unsure of where the road was taking me. I knew one thing though, that I wanted a life in the corporate world. I also wanted to be a published writer.

I started taking my writing more seriously. One afternoon when I had time on my hands and access to fast internet I started my own blog. I wrote about books and writing and loved it.

I’m almost 23 now and nearly done with my degree. Now I know one thing for sure, a little part of me wishes that I had gone against the norm and studied English and Creative Writing. I wish I had written more and shared it sooner. I can’t do anything about it now but to continue living and make do with what I have.

Many opportunities are popping up. In 2014 I contributed to Sky News’ Stand Up Be Counted initiative and also contributed to ShoutoutUK.

I also met an amazing group of young people at Arts and Africa last year. Like minded souls who just want to write like me. We have a platform where we share our writing and discuss our stands on a number of issues.

I feel like I’m finally moving towards my dreams. Even though it took me ages, I took my time to figure out what it is that I really want. I now know what I want to do with my life. I am happy, and that’s all that matters.

This post is for everyone who’s living their dreams, even if it means walking alone on unfamiliar paths. You are all superheroes.