We (still) Have A Dream

Posted August 31, 2013 Avatar Emilia Siahaan

Avatar Emilia Siahaan View Profile

source : www.bbc.co.uk

source : www.bbc.co.uk

“1963 march teaches us that we are not trapped by mistakes of history, that we are masters of our fates.” – Barrack Obama

“I say to you today, my friends, thou, eventhough we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

On August 28th, USA celebrated the 50 years of Martin Luther King, Jr’s speech that is known with the title “I Have A Dream”. This day also reminds a lot of people in this world about Civil Rights, a rights that actually does not only give effect for African-American in USA, but also for any groups that have been treated differently. If we look back to see the history in several countries, many people fought to get the same rights like others. These movements had caused severe pain, even death. Human rights has been a powerful issues for decades.

As we take a deeper sight to Civil Rights movement, we will find that this movement has encouraged many groups to fight for their rights, and more important, they finally have enough courage to go out, as they are. Civil Rights movement has been one of the milestone for people’s idea to struggle for humanity. It also gives enlightenment for many people to start appreciating diversity.

As Martin Luther said in his speech, “We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence.” it teaches us not to hurt anybody, because murder and physical violence is not, and will never be, the answer for any problem. It has become the trigger to do save demonstration, and a good example to speak up, to share their aspiration.

If we relate this moment with what happen nowadays, the problem mostly does not lay in races or ethnics, but in gender, social status (like occupation), and also financial status. We still have a lot of homework to do, and it is important for youths around the world to also take part for the change, because somehow, youths can use their energy, network, and creativity to help solving this problem. We have to note that as long as we keep making actions, a better world is never just a dream.