Welcome Our New VOY Blogging Interns!

Avatar Voices of Youth Team
MischaVOY

Dear VOY family,

We're pleased to introduce to you our newest cohort of Voices of Youth blogging interns! During the coming weeks, the 9 writers will blog about two of UNICEF's key campaign topics - End Violence Against Women and Children Uprooted. We invite you to read their blog posts, comment, and share them with your networks.

We're looking forward to your engagement and hope you'll enjoy the journey!

And now, without further ado, we give the floor to our new interns:

Ali, 25, Somalia

My name is Ali. I am passionate about children's rights. I am a child activist/educationalist. I believe that the best way we can invest in children is by giving them quality education.

Domitilla, 18, Italy

Hello! I am a Neapolitan student about to start university at Sciences Po in Menton, France. I love acting, reading and writing. As communication plays a pivotal role in our society, I have been part of the newspaper team at high school and at UWC Adriatic, and I am very excited to join the VOY internship! I have chosen the topic "Children Uprooted" to explore the very relevant issue of migration and to share perspectives with peers.

Fatima, 15, Canada

Although I was born in Canada, I consider myself to be a citizen of the world. The idea of living in a global village is one that is reflected in almost everything I do. Ever since I was a young child, compassion and empathy for the plight of others were values instilled in me by my refugee parents and I incorporate them into my daily life. I also come from a family of story-tellers, as per our Somali heritage, and as a result, I have taken upon myself to memorialize these tales in writing. Words have quickly become my preferred method of expression. As I grow up in the current information age, in which we are constantly bombarded with news of people suffering in many parts of the world, particularly children, I can't help but be affected by the plight of these children who are just like me but living under these horrendous conditions, so many of whom mirror the struggles of my relatives and parents.

Henna, 20, England

Through my own personal experience of working with children displaced by conflict, I believe that there are numerous stories to tell to illustrate to people what is happening in the world today. The amazing thing about writing is how it can resonate with people across the globe, even if you've never met the person - this is my goal for the programme, and I hope my blog posts are something everyone can identify with!

Jean, 19, Philippines

Hello! I am Jean, a senior Psychology undergraduate student at the University of the Philippines-Diliman. One of the things I am passionate about is psychological research. I am really excited about this internship because I believe that it will help me make academic research more comprehensible or digestible to a wider audience; thus raising public awareness on my topic--- Ending Violence Against Children. I believe that whilst children are essential in ensuring a better future for humanity, they are also one of the most--- if not the most--- vulnerable sectors in society, thus, it is our duty to protect them against all forms of violence and promote their well-being. I want to help in the effort to protect children and I believe that this experience will help me do so and also improve myself in the process.

Jishnu, 17, India

I am Jishnu. I am a high school student and will be going to college next year. I have been in a strong standing relationship with writing as long as I can remember, because of one magical purpose that it fulfills. Writing has the power to bring about change. Every child around the world is not as lucky as I am; violence towards them is so common that they think it is completely normal. Every child deserves the best and I am here to make people aware of it. I am thoroughly excited to embark on this new journey with UNICEF and Voices Of Youth to put my words out there, to make myself be heard.

Linh, 19, Vietnam

Hi, I'm Linh and I am 19 years old. I am particularly interested in social issues, especially in human rights. I have always believed it is my mission to help those in need and I gain incredible joy in doing so. I also think writing is a unique form of art that helps move our society forward. Joining the VOY blogging internship, I hope to shed light on various topics and share my experience as well as my own perspectives with a view to combating violence against children.

Nerissa, 21, South Africa

I'm a final year law student from South Africa, which means I have plenty of social justice issues to write on, but never any time to write on them. Like most great but harrowing things in life, I discovered writing by accident in high school, and haven't been able to shake the habit since. In a world inundated with thinkpieces on the horrors of millennials, I'm passionate about youth development in my community, where violence against children is rife, but no one talks about it.

Numu, 17, Gambia

My name is Numu S. Touray and I am 17 years old. I am from the Gambia, which is in West Africa, and am currently based in Palermo, Italy. I like music and nature of any kind. I also like travelling and meeting new people and making new friends. I chose to participate in the Children Uprooted campaign because I believe children are the future leaders and they need help and protection to create a better tomorrow.