What are Some Eco-innovations?

Posted November 18, 2013 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad View Profile

Eco-innovation

Eco-innovation

It was an adventure when my friend and I were appointed by my teacher to actively steer a committee to food waste training held by local government. It was so difficult when we wanted to help the program by campaigning green solutions of reducing wasted food notably by GHG emissions.

My friend and I attempted to do it with high and active passion, although did not really understand which steps should be taken to reduce GHG emissions. However, we thought that it was not the greatest challenge and obstacle. We could get the insights from my teacher and work hard. As a result, we succeeded to execute the training in my school.

The program held at my school was the annual training for students to understand the the impact of waste foods toward air emissions. We know well that GHG (greenhouse gases) is a normal condition if the gases produced are not over the determined threshold. But, if it is above the threshold, the gases will disturb the atmosphere. They include CO2, CH3, Cl2, F2, NO3, SO42- and so on.

The GHG emissions can be obtained from food wastes. Based on my experience, I studied from training, on average, greenhouse gas emissions were from decomposition and wasted food bulk which ended up in landfills. As usual, rotting and decomposed food wastes produces methane and CO2. However, the largest amount of gas is methane – a more powerful gas that contributes to global warming than CO2. In order for both methane and carbon dioxide not to be seriously dangerous to the environment, a demand to benefit and convert these gases are important at this moment. In training, I learned the benefit of GHG emissions as a source of energy. The kind of energy which is able to be reached by utilizing the greenhouse gases is bio-energy. Perhaps bio-energy has been commonly boomed by the researchers and experts in the 21st century as a new breakthrough of research innovation. However, the optimization and use of bio-energy is still rare so it needs the assistance and support from government, companies, and societies to get together on developing this innovation.

Innovations:

Bio-energy is an innovation that converts and diverts food wastes using complex technologies. Eco-innovations include bio-ethanol, bio-diesel, biogas, bio-compost and bio-fertilizers. All products of these innovations require eco-friendly, biodegradable, cheap, and are applicable to society. Another important thing is that it is able to reduce GHG from wasted foods.

Bio-ethanol and bio-diesel is an alternative products derived from organic waste having lignocelluloses substances (cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin). In this case, it comes from rice, vegetable, fruits, bread, etc. The production of both bio-ethanol and bio-diesel is by using SSF (simultaneous saccharification and fermentation) or acid hydrolysis method. Perhaps, it is so complicated and difficult to be done because these methods need modern technology support and broad knowledge of human beings using them.

Another innovation is biogas. It has a powerful benefit to reduce greenhouse emissions by converting methane into biofuel and replaces fossil fuel. Biogas is largely used by small households from cattle dung decomposed and covered in holes. It will be the same method when we use wasted foods to produce biofuel. For instance, in my local society, lignocelluloses wastes from food which is placed in covered dump holes will be decomposed by anaerobic fermentation to produce methane. After this, methane gases will be distributed by coils to stoves for cooking. It is one of effective ways to reduce methane gases which has ability to thin down the atmosphere layer. Not only bio-ethanol, bio-diesel and bio-gas but also eco-friendly fertilizers are able to be synthesized from organic food wastes. Organic substances of these wastes, such as NO3-N, play an important role in the mitigation of GHG emissions by agriculture sector. The simple example is tea basg usually thrown away to the dustbin. In fact, tea bags can be used in your garden for compost. Researchers have proven that application of organic waste materials such as food processing and serving industry cooking oil waste can recycle soil nitrate nitrogen (NO3–N) so that it will help mitigate GHG emissions.
Speaking about wasted food consisted of abundant useful substances needs many reviews and references from different sources so we are not solely only based opinion. From the above explanation, although food wastes generate negative impacts to the environment, but we believe by opening our creative thoughts, we can produce valuable eco-innovations which are able to mitigate GHG emissions.
Three months after training finished, my friends and I, under guidance of private and public sector, have started to create a breakthrough helping local societies to separate organic and inorganic wastes to be reduced, recycled, and reused. Organic wastes are collected and sent to a big covered hole to be decomposed so that it will produce.

Environment waste goods gas landfills innovations biogas methane