What is Success for You??

Posted December 15, 2013 Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli

Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli View Profile

I write this post because I really worry about my society and the way they are thinking about “success.” Some people believe that you can achieve success if you have the great ability to compete with others just like a sperm that win will the race. While other people believe success means to be number one in your community, school, campus or in other institutions. And this is what I really worry about because I think we have no idea how to measure someone’s successes; either by “the competition” or “the number one.”

Need proof? I’ll give you examples below based on a true story but I don’t want to share the real name of the person because I have no legitimacy to do that.

Alright, let’s start with this one. “A man with a tuxedo was standing in front of a tall building, waiting for something. Then, a fancy car was coming to pick him up to go to another skyscraper. In that place, a man proudly presents a very genius program that he made for many years, to reduce the air pollution and the sponsors happily give him the support.” Do you think he is successful?

Now, let’s change the story. “Ryan and Linda are the students of a school in a little city. Ryan is really good in math. He can stay busy with his video games in the night before final exam. What about Linda? She is really good in social science but really bad at math. She is not in a good mood to learn about it because of her period. Then, she makes a very special note for cheating and happily shares with her friends and luckily they pass the exam.” Ryan has passed the exam without any effort because “Math is in his blood” Linda has no idea about it, but at least she had made an effort for herself and her friends as well, even though it was in a bad way. Do you think they are successful? Is that fair?

What about this one? “A little boy who is working as a street singer and is living on the street for years. He has no parents or siblings, but he has a very beautiful voice. He is working to find some money. He has no plan for the future and he just sings all day. One day, a producer accidentally hears his voice and adopt the little boy as his son. Because of his talent, the producer proudly shows the boy to the public and makes him a a professional singer. The sponsors, fans and money also come easily to the boy.” So, do you think the boy is successful? Even without a plan? Or, maybe lucky?

Then, what is “success?" The common people define “success” as when you find and develop what you have. Arrange a plan and create something genius with your talent in your own way to get your dreams. When you really don’t care about the insult of your failure but you always try, work hard and do your best, so that you can prove to the world that you deserve to get it. But I don’t think so. It doesn’t mean that I don't agree with that. I can’t 100% believe in that statement because there are so many perspectives and definitions about success. People also have their own dreams and ways to be successful. Even Ralph Waldo Emerson an American essayist, lecturer, and poet, simply said;

“Success: To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!”

With this post, I just want to tell you and make you realize that success can’t be measured by anyone else. The divide of success, such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Gold, Silver and Bronze is just the formality of people's achievements. Every person in this world, absolutely have their own dreams and ways to get success. Being the best in a community or some institutions doesn’t mean someone can be the best in the other places even though you can be the best as well. We have our own special part and role to play. So, when we can unite to make something better for many people, that’s success for me.

What about you? What is success for you and what kind of “success” do you want?

Sources;

http://www.incomediary.com/50-great-thoughts-on-success

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Waldo_Emerson

education human rights Society Success