What made me a reader

no picture just someone who wants to make a difference
Bhavika

As a kid in grade 1, I didn’t like books. I hated them. I used to sit and stare blankly at the pages pretending to read while I never really did. I still remember my mom making me read different picture books and little story books as a kid.

What I loved the most about winter was curling up in blankets and watching all the Disney and Barbie movies. The first time I watched Harry Potter, I was probably 8. Little did I know, it would mean something so big to me one day.

I know, I know, it’s so stupid and overrated obsessing over fantasies in a world where you can’t survive a day without being real. It fills my heart with joy, as I look at those 8 books stacked one on top of the other. As a kid of 10, I decided and promised myself that one day I’m going to visit the Harry Potter world and live what I’ve been reading.

That’s just one story of how harry potter has changed lives. It made me a reader - I can’t imagine not loving books and reading the way I do now. I can’t remember hating reading because it’s so far from who I turned out to be. The Harry Potter books helped shape me into the person I am today. Through every stage of my life, I’ve had Harry Potter through the good times and the bad, for comfort, joy, and reassurance.

Harry Potter teaches us so many lessons. There are the obvious things, like love, friendship, bravery, sacrifice, good and evil. But there are other things that aren’t as obvious – the stabs at prejudice and inequality, dishonesty in the media and corrupt government. There are so many things that the books teach us, as well as too many meaningful quotes to count (thank you, Albus Dumbledore). The characters are captivating and flawed. The story has so much depth. The writing is unparalleled.

Thank you, J.K. Rowling, for creating a whole new world that has touched so many lives. If I didn’t read Harry Potter, I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. Maybe I would be a little less weird, but I fully embrace my nerdiness and admit that Harry Potter is one of the things I love most in life.