What Will People Think About This?

Posted December 27, 2013 Avatar Nanda Zyitta

Avatar Nanda Zyitta View Profile

The day when homosexuality was removed from the International Classification of Diseases by the World Health Organization (WHO) on 17th May 1990 was the day when LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) rights were upheld by the world. Even though this happened twenty three years ago, there are still rejections against LGBT groups. Reality has said so. In my country of Indonesia, there are still many LGBT groups who are mocked and get rejected by society.

I was born in a family that has strong, religious views and my environment supports this too. Which means that I was born in a strong religious environment. Which is why my religion rejects what is called upon by the rights of LGBT. But here, they are people, they are human. Here humanity is a basic fundamental right of people who live. Others do not have the right to reject them.

There are even some countries, such as conservative countries, that punish them just because they are LGBT. Their punishment not only includes paying a tax, but the death penalty. Last week I read the newspaper in India that said they will put their LGBT society in jail for 10 years. They said that homosexuality is immoral, it is crime. It is a crime. Can something be called a crime when that something is created harm onto others? Are LGBT people creating harm to others? Absolutely NOT.

Just because they are different than people think they are, others think they are crazy. Just because they are different, they are discriminated against. To be different should not mean you should be discriminated against or rejected from others. To be LGBT is their own nature. Could you reject that? No you cannot.

LGBT are not monsters or aliens that will destroy the earth. They are humans. Humans that have rights to be free from fear, the right to live, and the right to pursue their happiness. Those right are basic rights of people who live because if one has one of those rights taken away by someone else, you will not be able to enjoy your live.

I believe that everybody was born equal and we have space to pursue our right or what we want to do as long as it is not harmful towards others. Open your eyes. Open you heart. LGBT are humans, not animals. You have to treat them as humans and not animals.

inspire youth education human rights activism LGBT