When you post online, you post to the world

Posted February 5, 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY View Profile

Photo Courtesy: The Guardian

Photo Courtesy: The Guardian

The Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) sets out the rights that all children have. Even though it was adopted by the United Nations in 1989, before the Internet and mobile phones were widely available, it remains relevant today.

So what do your rights mean in the digital age? How do you become a responsible digital citizen? Have you ever encountered these scenarios?

BE CONSIDERATE: You have the right to express your views and opinions on social networks, blogs and comments…but you have the responsibility to respect the views of others, even if you may not agree. Don’t post content that is offensive to others.

BE AWARE: You have the right to access information on the Internet that can help you with school work, planning your career, looking after your health or even just having fun…But be aware that not all the information on out there is true, accurate or legal.

BE TRUTHFUL: Don’t lie about your age. Don’t download illegal software, music or games or cheat by copying or buying essays or assignments from others.

BE CAUTIOUS: You have the right to meet new people who share your interest on the Internet…but avoid sharing personal information like your address, phone number or school that could put your safety at risk.

BE SAFE: You have the right to be safe from bullying or harassment in the online world….and you have the responsibility not to take part in the bullying of other by spreading rumors or posting and sharing hurtful or embarrassing stories or photos. Empower yourself.

BE YOURSELF: You have the right to privacy…but respect the privacy of others by not logging into their accounts or using their phones or profiles without their permission.

BE SMART: Once you share a photo or a video it is hard to control what happens to it and who sees it. Think twice before you click ‘send.’

Internet bullying Internet Safety Digital Citizens CRC privacy