Why Don't We Have Equality Yet?

Avatar High Schooler
Komal_Samrow

It's a tough question, isn't it? The reasons go back centuries, don't they? The work of our ancestors since the beginning of humanity. They laid down the framework for the utterly insufferable race to follow. But it's been well over 2 million years since the first humans came to be. So why haven't gotten past their ancient views? Why are we still rooted in our old ways?

Why don't we have equality yet?

Last year in the middle of an average social studies class, I was just about to doze off when my teacher posed an interesting question to the girls in the room. "If there was ever another war draft, would you want to be a part of it?" While I yelled out an enthusiastic "heck yeah!", my reaction definitely wasn't matched by my peers. While I hoped that the other girls would agree with me, I was crestfallen to see them shaking their heads and scrunching up their noses in disgust. So many thoughts ran through my head at that moment, the main one being: How can you possibly claim to be a feminist if you won't even fight your wars along men? I was outraged, as I hope some of you would be too. The day really got me thinking.

Equality means equality. There is no fine print, no hidden details. The definition is not pliable, not up for change. We can't pick and choose where and when we want to be treated as equals, it's a full package. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing people claim to want equality while at the same time upholding the very principles that defy it. That is exactly what happened in my social studies class that day, and that moment in time should serve as a reminder to all of us that equality is a two way street.

It's about time women and men alike start to embrace the true definition of equality. Equality isn't just being 'nice' to the opposite gender. It goes so far beyond that. It's showing them respect, and treating them as your equal no matter what situation you're in. It's putting a stop to typical sayings that objectify the genders and making an effort to even out the playing field for each other.

The world is long due for a rude awakening. As long as we continue to unconsciously uphold the very principles that demean the causes we fight for, equality will never be a reality. It's time to start being conscious, and making an effort to take down the inequality at roots, roots that stem from us.

I'm ready to take the step forward towards a better world. Now ask yourself: are you?