Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Brighton Kaoma(Middle), Panwar,Chief of ITC at UNICEF Uganda( Right)
2014 Social Good Summit, Nairobi, Kenya.

Brighton Kaoma(Middle), Panwar,Chief of ITC at UNICEF Uganda( Right) 2014 Social Good Summit, Nairobi, Kenya.

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from the various forms of the Arab Spring, its ability to bring about rapid change.

A number of initiatives have been using social media platforms in Africa in innovative new ways – particularly when it comes to engaging and activating wider audiences – and particularly the youth – around issues that matter the most to them.

On the 22nd of October 2014 I spoke at Strathmore University - the venue for the Social Good Summit in Nairobi,Kenya. I was privileged to be among the honored guests and also be on a panel discussion dubbed 'Activating the Youth.' The discussion was slated for 5 pm - 8 pm and was streamed into the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

In the discussion I spoke about innovations that are designed by young people, and for young people; like Zambia U-report, an innovation designed by UNICEF Zambia to empower young people with knowledge and skills on HIV/AIDS and STIs via free and confidential SMS based interaction with trained Sexual and Reproductive Health Counsellors.

I also spoke about another award-winning innovation my friends and I recently established called 'Agents of Change Foundation.' This foundation aims at catalyzing a new generation of ethical young leaders by equipping them with radio tools and skills, while using low-cost communication technologies.

The beginning of innovations in Zambia is indeed a captivating and fascinating paradigm shift, years from now we will look back and marvel at the enormous progress we will score. Bearing in mind where it all started as an idea.