Writing may be your only and strongest ally

Gloriana

I'm an extremely introverted person. I just can't imagine myself talking openly to others about myself and my problems. I'm shy and those situations make me uncomfortable. Yes, I should work on it. Yes, I should start counting on others so that I don't face problems alone. Yes, I know what I should do. But I need time to start changing a little bit who I am. I can't force it.

Hard times arrived and I couldn't talk to anyone about what was happening inside my head. Also, no one asked. Thoughts started bouncing in my head, over and over, and I just couldn't take them out. I was getting tired of thinking, physically tired. So I took a notebook and a pen and started writing. It is the best decision I've ever taken.

When you write, you first have to put your ideas in order. In that way, you're organizing your thoughts without that unstoppable overthinking. When you put your ideas on paper, you're materializing them. They stop being ghosts in your mind; they are now part of the real world. When the words are out of your head you can see them from another perspective. Sometimes you may stop being afraid of a horrible thought just by writing it and observing it was not that big.

I don't think that writing could replace talking to a real person, but I can assure you it's a great way to start opening yourself and your feelings to the world. It has its advantages, for example, no one will judge you or be indifferent to your problem. While you wait for the right moment or the right person, or if you think there's no one up to you, you can keep a journal and find in writing a great ally.