Your rights in the digital age

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Are you between 12-18 years old? If so, we invite you to join us in an exciting new initiative! A global action research project interested in children and young people’s views on their rights in the digital age!

The internet is just over 25 years old, and so is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Our world has changed a lot since then.

How do you use technology? Has technology impacted on your rights? This is what RErights.org wants to find out!

The last time we collaborated with young people, we heard from 148 young people from around the world, and we took their views to the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.

We were told some interesting things about the right to be forgotten, about ‘nosy’ parents restricting Internet access, and we were sent video footage showing what young people do online and what they have to say about it.

RErights.org follows on from this work. It is about getting young people like you to share your experiences and opinions on your rights in the digital age.

On the website we will release a series of tasks - “Operations” and “Missions” - for young people around the world to complete, through text messages, photos, videos, artwork, blog posts etc.

From time to time the research team will produce short films and infographics about what you have told us so far. What you tell us will be shared with other young people and brought to the attention of people and organisations who make decisions on things that affect you.

To find out more, or to become a part of the RErights community visit us at RErights.org.