Youth as Agents of Change

Avatar gitesh gourav

In the words of Franklin D Roosevelt -
"We cannot always build the future for the youth, but we can build out youth for the future"
While India houses a massive 17%(1) of the world population, it is also home to nearly 116 million(2) children living in extreme poverty and poor conditions. The huge gap between the rich and the poor is attributed to various factors including lack of opportunities, deficiency in the facilities of growth, loopholes in implementation of welfare schemes, and so on. Despite many efforts to address these factors, it still takes a long time for the changes to influence every nook and corner of the society.
While most of the developmental plans and initiatives seem highly dependent on the reigning government, a high degree of scope for bringing changes exists through informal initiatives that can be undertaken by the youth of the nation. Government's hands are often tied to the inevitable factor of time, which can lead to gaps in social welfare initiatives. Youth can fill in these gaps. They are sources of knowledge, opportunity, cooperation, encouragement and optimism. If they work together to address poverty in India, it will certainly materialise into action and results for those who are are underprivileged.
What do I do? Besides my regular job, I teach a group of kids, many of whom are orphans living on the street with no consistent source of income or food. Much of what they do is earn a few bucks during the day, and buy some food with that at night. The place where I teach these 12-15 kids, is a make-shift one, and lies alongside a grocery bazaar. Everyday, numerous people like me, come to the market to buy their daily groceries. During class, these people express amazement and appreciate the effort. Few promise to contribute, and few, out of sheer kindness, buy the kids, fruits and stationaries. While I genuinely appreciate their care and concern, I end up requesting them to contribute a mere 15 minutes, whenever possible, to teach the kids. Many approve and confirm, but most have not been able to make it to more than a day or two.
When a bud flowers to form shiny petals, it's not just the tree's roots, or the tree's stem that help it bloom, it's rather every branch, stem and leaf, which regulate efforts and resources for that little bud to blossom. Therefore I urge my fellow youths around the world to stand and act, and become agents of change. Efforts could include anything from teaching kids, spreading awareness about the environment, counselling for peace against violent extremism, donating books and notes to those in need, planting trees, saving electricity, saving water, boosting morales of kids, motivating people to study, helping someone cross the road, and so on.

Reference :1: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/31/census-17-percent-world-indian
2: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2016/10/03/nearly-385-million-children-living-extreme-poverty-joint-world-bank-group-unicef-study(385 million children living in extreme poverty; with over 30 per cent of extremely poor children living in India alone)
3: http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/publications-a-z/455-youth-and-the-state-of-the-world