Youth Filmmakers Attend Masterclass - Day One

Posted November 29, 2013 no picture theoneminutesjr.

no picture theoneminutesjr. View Profile

OneMinutesJr. Awards nominees, local Dutch youth and various educators and arts organization leaders gather for a presentation of the nominated films.

Slowly, they gathered in the IDFA screening room for the first Masterclass event presentation. “They” are the nominees for the 2013 OneMinutesJr. awards: youth filmmakers who participated in UNICEF-sponsored OneMinutesJr. workshops around the world. The youth have come from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, Libya, Georgia, Mexico, Pakistan and Ukraine and are joined by several local Dutch youth.

IDFA, the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam, has partnered with the One Minutes Foundation and UNICEF to host a Masterclass for the awards nominees and local youth. On 28 November, the group gathered to present the nominated films to their fellow Masterclass members.

Each one-minute video was screened and followed by a presentation by the youth who made it. Chhun Sopheaktra (14, Cambodia) told how his film “Liquid Changes Life” focuses on a problem in his village of parents not allowing their children to go to school and abusing their children when under the influence of alcohol. Matej Tokic (14, Bosnia and Herzegovina) explained that many of the children in his village leave to go to bigger towns and cities for education and jobs and homes, leaving him lonely and sad, which he portrays in his video “Farewell.”

Three of the films that were nominated were made by young women in detention centers in Ukraine. Since they could not travel to Amsterdam, a representative came in their place and he answered many questions from the audience about the young women, the stories behind their films and their experiences in the center.

After the screening, the Masterclass trainers introduced the theme of the 20day workshop: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). The assignment was to think about a subject and a question that could form the inspiration for their videos.

To watch the nominated films, check out www.theoneminutesjr.org

youth media