Youth in South Sudan

Posted July 1, 2013 no picture

Today is Canada Day ( Fête du Canada, it is the national day of Canada celebrating the anniversary of the July 1, 1867 which united three colonies into a single country called Canada)

UNICEF is grateful to the Canadian people through CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) for supporting the Youth LEAD programme which aims at developing youth leadership, empowerment, advocacy on youth focused policies and youth development)

Through the three year Youth LEAD programme, CIDA support has provided South Sudanese youth with an opportunity to engage with their local leaders in policy dialogue, supported out of school youth to access accelerated learning programmes and is developing youth friendly centres in three states.

Youth LEAD has also supported the engagement of youth in peace building and facilitating their contributions towards conflict resolution.

Youth LEAD is a unique initiative focussing on young people, their strengths and how they overcome their challenges to contribute meaningfully towards their own development, their communities and their new country” Angela Mione (CIDA official on her visit to South Sudan)

Happy Canada day